"greenwater loads" There is strong evidence to the fact that the freighter Edmund Fitzgerald was lost with all Hands in a gale on Superior because a hatch cover was not dogged down properly. This led to flooding in the hull and when combined with a slide dwn the back of the wave pulled the Fitz to her grave in a matter of a couple of miunutes perhaps. The loss was so fast that the ship did not get a SOS off!

Green water loads therefore are very significant as well as hull integrity... the great lakes are littered with wrecks due to unfortunate things. The early adoption of shielded arc welding occured here in Northern Ohio (Cleveland Oh is the home of Linclon Electric) due to cold temperature fracture of Oxy Acwetylene welds on freighters.... one of which snapped amidships in a gale on Huron and whose crew stayed alive in the aft section for a couple of days in sight of shore but unrecoverable. Finally the aft section went down with a loss of all hands.

My shipboard piping work concerned some N stuff on something that I cannot talk about. I have never actually had the oppurtunity to work on a FPSO project I am sure it would be rewarding albeit tricky.

An excellent source of information and low cost wonderful design books.... James F Lincoln Foundation

Edited by John C. Luf (02/02/07 08:18 AM)

John C. Luf