Unfortunately the supplier has a misunderstanding. If you like you can refer them to me. I can discuss the issue with them. You can also send unit calcs plus DRWG to my E mail. If the loading is so critical are you sure that the unit is in balance? Will check the design (Results not given here). No charge :-)

Some comments about supporting from bottom (as I see it):

Unit is vertical and it has 4 plates. Two of these are connection flanges. I call plates 1, 2, 3 and 4 starting from top. 1 and 3 are rigidly joined. Same with 2 and 4. Assume number 4 doesn't move but 1 is coming down. When looking the setup assume bellows convolutions are not there. They are paper compared to all other items.

If you put fixed support on 4 then 1 and 3 are not supported but 2 is. You cannot put fixed support on 1 or 3 as they move. These 2 are supported by spring force (elements) and bolting at 1. If you put spring support on 3, rods will see additional compression force (buckling) plus you increase the overal spring force. If you put on 1 then only spring force goes up.

I do not like the idea of putting springs:
- space is limited
- they have to be absolutely symmetrical
- if springs are not in balance EJ sees uneven loading
- all 4 plates are under heavy loading. Any additional spring load would have to be checked by the supplier.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za