Originally Posted By: sam
But, what our forum members think - can we predict a timing of earthquake or a fatigue failure with complete certainity ?

I won't comment on earthquake prediction, as that is not my field of expertise.

No on fatigue failure, because we'll never be afforded the unlimited budget and time constraints required to fully evaluate an existing structure. It would be cheaper to purchase a brand new one that's 10x more adequate, which I would say with perhaps 75% confidence.

But that only covers my input parameters. I cannot guarantee the bedrock under the structure. I cannot guarantee against items outside the scope of my imagination, or, if you're the one providing scope definition, your imagination.

Ultimately, as designers, we are limited in our ability to control what others use our designs for, or even track how it's used. I guarantee you that if those monorail trains have an occupancy / capacity maximum, it gets flagrantly disregarded, but the engineers "should have known better." Yet when we design for "knowing better," we're forced to redo the work, because it's stronger than the norm.

Originally Posted By: sam
In gen Z people around, we expect more curiosity. We are not insects which do not feel pain .. just live to mate and eat. Our youth only aspire to concour others and promote themselves!

I'll respond to this with another quote. Note the author.

Originally Posted By: Socrates
The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room.