For what it's worth, here's that workthrough:

The math:

x1,z1 = Node "A" coordinate, global
x2,z2 = Node "B" coordinate, global
Lx = x2-x1 (also can be read directly from elements tab)
Lz = z2-z1 (also can be read directly from elements tab)
dx = displacement of node B, global, x
dz = displacement of node B, global, z
d = sqrt(dx^2+dz^2)

DL = lateral displacement of node B
DA = axial displacement of node B

DL = d cos(theta)
DA = d sin(theta)

where theta = 90+atan(dz/dx)-atan(Lz/Lx)

The spreadsheet:

Inside Excel, you'd need to copy+paste the elements tab, restraints tab, and export the displacements report. Convert the data from the elements tab. I'm unfamiliar with SI notation within CAESAR, but I believe in imperial you have to consider 3 possible notations... X ft., Y in and X ft. Y in, in CAESAR 2017 and in 2014 it's the same except "in" is instead "in."

You may benefit from text to columns methodology here, or you may use a combination of the following Excel functions to achieve your goal:

Clean()
Left()
Right()
Len()
Find()
Numbervalue()
If()

You will also need to copy+paste the restraint tab from CAESAR.

For elements and restraint tabs both, you'll need to form a column that combines node numbers into one longer string. I.E. element 10 to 20 will be element 1020. You achieve this with either Concatenate() or the "&" function.

Finally, you take your node number of a restraint in the output report, correlate it with a unique combination node identifier in the restraints report (e.g. support at node 20 belongs to element 1020), and then this unique identifier is correlated with the elements tab in order to obtain a directionality of the element it belongs to.

You perform this action using match() and index() functions in Excel.

Edited by Michael_Fletcher (12/11/18 01:10 PM)