Hi Dave & Nitin,

I've had a look in 2017 Ed. of EN13480-3. There is no such "More applicable data" reference. Moreover, there is no recommendation regarding FEA assessment of SIFs for non-typical fittings. The following vague/less-precise recommendation is provided instead:

"For piping components or attachments (such as valves, strainers, anchor, rings or bands) not covered in Annex H, suitable stress intensification factors may be assumed by comparison of their significant geometry with that of the component shown."

Anyway, EN 13480-3 default approach is rather similar to B31.1 Code than B31.3 when we talk about thermal expansion stress qualification. The unique SIF is applied to the whole resultant moment.
The in-plane/out-plane bending stresses and SIFs discrimination is provided as an alternative analysis method.
Axial thermal expansion stress component is not included in any approach.

So, it appears that B31J SIFs are not applicable "by default" at this time. Maybe only if agreed between Designer and Owner, the alternative analysis method to be based on more accurate values for in-plane and out-plane SIFs.

However, I believe the best approach is to replace EN 13480-3 with B31.3 whenever is accepted by the Owner. As far as I know, PED recognizes alternative design methods based on ASME Codes. Personally, whenever I deal with European projects, I proceed in this way. It's clearer, more accurate and full compliant with Caesar II default algorithms. It just remains the allowable stresses and, maybe, the other material properties, to be specified as used-defined data.

Best regards,

Lead Piping Stress Engineer