Dear Sandeep

Lets say you are using a special type of constant supports rather than spring supports. Long time ago- but I've seen such supports in an old refinery in 90s- a constant effort support was a pulley carrying the pipe on one side of a wire rope and on the other a mass having weight as desired. The tension in both sides of the rope is equal such that if the pipe moves downwards the weight moves upwards with zero effort or change in rope tension. With that special construction, it was quite evident that we talk about a force rather than a support.

With such construction, your system would be one having restrains -otherwise the system is rather a mechanism- and active forces applied in points where you placed such "supports".

Now you may imagine your system as having rest supports instead forces applied. With Caesar you are able to calculate the rest supports loads. Having the numbers you may choose exactly the weights of the "special supports" I've mentioned above. I would say that you have balanced the system in cold condition and the shape will be exactly as the system is on rests.

But you can choose the weights based on other criteria. The system will have the same restrains and other set of active forces= weights and will have other equilibrium shape. Some engineers would say you are wrong because you placed "intentional deformation" by no transparent criteria, the contractor may be terrified because the deflections that they can see, etc. However it may happen that you solve your target (acceptable stress, desired forces/ moments in restrains), even the result is "ugly" for the majority (and some will claim you made a mess of your system).
But a good question is what is really wrong there? In my understanding nothing wrong looking only to "cold status". Can be wrong when the system is "hot" and there are not only the "forces" but also the temperature as load. This is the "hot case". In case the analysis of "hot case" gives acceptable results vs criteria that you (and the Code) define, what is really wrong?

Now, you have the same situation when choose the cold load of constant supports. With spring supports it's different because the forces depend on the local displacement. But, in my opinion, what I've written above still hold.

As Dorin pointed-out, sound engineering practice recommends NOT TO DEVELOP initial deflections and/or stress states at installation by the spring supports. Just keep in mind that, in this case, Sound engineering is a result of opinion of majority. I rather belong to a minority for this case and it is my opinion that you do not need to worry about the cold condition displacement. You only need to specify the Cold Load and the Hot Load and the travel between them, a proper load variation, a proper length/ height geometrical definition of spring supports and goes away with a proper analyze of the piping system. keep in mind that Caesar has a good and performant algorithm to choose spring supports but you have the freedom to input User data and analyses what happens with your system. And, as I said, I do not consider the problem of "cold spring" as argument of "avoiding deflections" in cold status (with the notable exception when Michael will be my Client!).

Edited by mariog (09/18/18 01:57 PM)