Quote:
Cold spring is the intentional deformation of piping during assembly to produce a desired initial displacement and reaction.
I wouldn't consider mathematical, manufacturer imprecision, or minor adjustments as "intentional" cold spring.

I should not have stated that is flat out impermissible. The code then goes on to provide examples where you might use cold spring:

Quote:
Cold spring is beneficial in that it serves to balance the magnitude of the reaction under initial and extreme displacement conditions. When cold spring is properly applied there is less likelihood of overstrain during initial operation; hence, it is recommended especially for piping materials of limited ductility. There is also less deviation from as installed dimensions during initial operation, so that hangers will not be displaced as far from their original settings.

My impression of the "word salad" in the previous post is you can use cold spring in the following cases:
1) Pipe failure in a sustained case, but no pipe failure in an expansion or occasional case, and a spring that's not cold-sprung doesn't cause it to pass, but a cold-sprung spring does.
2) No pipe failure, but nozzle/support failure with non-cold-sprung springs, where cold-sprung springs work.

In both cases, you must run the analysis in triplicate. At 1x specified cold load, 2/3, and 1.25x. All must pass.