If the cold load setting of the spring is 2000 units and the cold force from the piping onto the spring is 1000 units, we can rest assured that the spring, if released, will deform the pipe to the tune of 1000 units, potentially leading to failures.

It sounds like this has already happened based on Sandeep's query.

With regards to my statement, the code states:

Quote:
Inasmuch as the service life of a piping system is affected more by the range of stress variation than by the magnitude of stress at a given time, no credit for cold spring is permitted in stress range calculations. However, in calculating the thrusts and moments where actual reactions as well as their range of variations are significant, credit is given for cold spring.

...which is word salad for if your system behaves cyclically, it doesn't count, and if it doesn't behave cyclically, it counts. Can you guarantee the operation of such a system? The only lines you can guarantee are this way are the lifeline of the facility, and I'd do my best to make them make it work without cold spring.

The code also states:
Quote:
Where cold spring is used in the piping system, experience has shown that it cannot be fully assured. Therefore, the reactions shall be computed both with the assumption that only two-thirds of the design cold spring is present, and with four-thirds of the design cold spring present.

... which is actually different from what I remember, so it's not actually "partial credit," but "design 2 additional models."