Hello All!!!

This is a very informative discussion. In NozzlePro software this particular code requirement can be activated under Load Case Options then check the box "Assume restrained free end displacements are primary loads within nozzle limits of reinforcement". But of course this is the membrane component of the stress and not the bending component of stress. As we all know the membrane component of stress is more risky since the whole through-thickness section experience the same stress level and therefore will reach the failure stress at the same time and will lead to global plastic collapse. While the bending component of stress is linearly varying through the thickness for a thin walled member with the surface having the highest stress. Therefore, the surface will experience yielding first while some portion are still under elastic stress. In Nozzle Pro this is reported as Qb which is approximately less than 2Sy. But this is not under ASME VIII requirement I forgot what ASME Code it is. We may consider this as plastic hinge or local plastic collapse?

Anyway, just sharing my thoughts. Just correct me if I have some wrong statements.

Cheers!!!