Thanks to Michael for the explanation on adding files. Hopefully the images show.

Just to show some cases what can happen. Worst case I know is Fixborough incident. There are couple reasons given why it happened but most probably line failed because pressure thrust was not understood. I have investigated one case where people died. Rest of the cases I have been asked to look at have been equipment and line failures.

One image shows NB150/NB200 water line where anchor failed. Bellows element is extended and basically destroyed. Pressure is low enough that the element did not fail. Second image is NB600 air line with under 6 bar pressure. That concrete block is partially buried into the ground. It was pushed out of position by the pressure thrust. It was stopped only when the externally pressurized expansion unit reached its maximum movement/end stop.

On nearby installation far worse situation. Anchors were totally destroyed. I recommend to the owner to barricade substantial area for safety reasons until the complete line is repaired. Line was couple kilometers long.

One image shows a diesel line where the line guiding was insufficient. Originally line failed in a similar manner during an installation pressure test. Guiding was improved but it failed again when there was a "water" hammer on rapid valve closure.

Heavily reinforced unit id NB 500 feed water hinge unit with 100 bar pressure. High pressure thrust at about 2290 kN or 514590 lb.

These are not fabric compensators but same rules and problems apply.

Attachments
anchorsbroken.jpg

moved.jpg

buckling.jpg

NB500.jpg

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za