Hi Harish,

In my 20 years experience, we haven't done FIV on stress analysis in design stage. My opinion is, as long as the process engineer will limit the turbulent kinetic energy (density times square velocity) to an acceptable level (usually they have certain criteria like for flare lines) which is written in their spec, I think should be ok. It's hard to be objective in tackling this issue because you need to do some complicated calculations such as CFD, FEM, etc. to quantify things which is not practical especially if the project schedule is very tight and is a lump sum type of project. Just make sure to review client specs if this a part of their requirement in ITB and inform the relevant people involved (e.g. lead engineer, process engineer, etc.) so it will be properly addressed. Usually, as Haris mentioned process engineer usually take care of this issue in the design stage.

What I remember in my present company, the process engineer will only ask question to stress engineer in cases where the client is asking to increase flow rates for some existing system and it will exceed the process engineer guideline (e.g. density times square velocity criteria).

Any other opinion is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!!!