Here's an example for context (none of these numbers are real scenario, just used for simplification):

A 4" line is routed with many bends in a rack on 3" wide steel columns at 25ft centers sitting on 12" long, welded pipe shoes. These spans result in deflection (0.65") in the pipe greater than what we would allow per internal company standards (0.5" for a 4" pipe). One philosophy I've heard over the years is the "bending" or "sagging" in the piping does not begin until after the pipe shoes, so modeling a pipe shoe as one single restraint is not accurate. Rather, according to this philosophy, it should be modeled as three +y restraints, spaced 6" apart to represent the entire length of the pipe shoe.

Now, per this philosophy, it is a 24' span despite the location of two of the +y restraints are not in contact with the steel and deflection is now 0.5" and deemed acceptable.

Is this philosophy an acceptable means of modeling? I can't wrap my head around this philosophy, please let me know if you agree or not.

Thank you!!