I hope my question is not repeated, because I spent some time searching the forum and could not find it.

The Installed Load Case section of the Hanger Sizing Algorithm in the Technical Reference Manual reads as follows:

"The theoretical cold, or installed, load is the load on the spring when the pipe has exactly zero displacement. The actual installed load may differ from the theoretical installed load by (K)(d), where (K) is the spring stiffness and (d) is the displacement of the pipe in the installed condition. In essence, the actual installed load is calculated by taking the piping system and "freezing" all displacements at zero. With the pipe in this condition, the hangers are installed and the theoretical cold load is applied. The pipe is then "defrosted" and allowed to adjust its weight position due to the hanger, restraint, and anchor stiffnesses and the installed hanger loads. Once the system settles out, the total load on each of the hangers is read and recorded as the "actual" hanger installed load."

I understand what the passage says, but I have a concern (and please bear with me as I explain):

The typical construction scenario that I have experienced is that after the piping and supports are put in place and after all welds are completed from anchor to anchor, the system is hydrotested. Once safely hydrotested, the locks on the spring hangers are released. It is true that the system will initially be unstable as the loads are being redistributed naturally to balance out with the introduced springs' stiffnesses. However, once the springing of the system is settled, all spring hangers are adjusted to their Cold Loads (usually the white mark on the spring can). Once this "manual" adjustment is done, the system "freezes" and THAT is considered your zero position. From there, the pipe heats up and expands to the predefined Hot Load (usually the red mark on the spring can). Accordingly, CAESAR II should use the theoretical Cold Load and report the SUS case with zero displacement.

My concern is that if the SUS case reports a non-zero vertical displacement, the derived load (whether Hot or Cold) will be biased, because the program will calculate the load based on the "OPE" movement NOT the "EXP" movement. It is accurate to use the "OPE" movement to calculate the loads because of the non-linearities, but the "SUS" case should be based on a zero vertical displacement.

Please advise if there is any way to resolve this. I want to have the program use the theoretical cold load and zero displacement in spring calculation. Is it possible?

Thank you for your time