I would like to open this topic back up regarding the proper method of perfmorming a "static analysis" on relief valve discharge piping. We have an ongoing discussion at work on how to do it. My opinion is that, when dealing with a discharge pipe that has multiple turns before it discharges either to atmosphere or to a larger relief header, all the vector forces should NOT be applied at the same time but instead as different vectors AT different points in time (i.e F1 at t1, F2 at t2, etc.). Of course, assuming F1 = F2 = F3 if cross sectional area stays constant throughout.

So let's say you have Miyamoto's piping but relief being passed is gas. I agree the fluid will be traveling at extremely high velocities, but unless the spools are very short, the metal will NOT feel these at the same time (even if it's only miliseconds). But yet I see everyone's standard practice is to apply them all at once at every turn in direction as one single vector force (F1 at t1, t2, t3, etc.).

There is one post in particular from Loren Brown that I believe backs my reasoning up, see below:

"For an open system, if you have more than one bend in your vent stack then apply this force at each bend under a separate load vector.

For a closed system you would apply this force on bends on each “long” leg of pipe. The only way to truly figure out which pipe leg is short enough to ignore the PSV force is to run the force/time profile through Caesar II's DLF generator in the dynamics module, but then you might as well perform this analysis dynamically. For short pipes the duration of the unbalanced PSV force is small and this shifts the DLF peak to the right (higher frequency) which at some point is past the majority of your piping system natural frequencies of interest. But if you are going to do this statically you might simply take the nine longest pipe legs and apply your force to each bend corresponding to these longest legs. This would be the "brute force" approach, not really an approach based on physics.

You have 9 different force vectors to choose from so apply your PSV force under a different force vector for each bend because we want to only examine the effect on one bend at a time. Then set up separate OPE cases that include your different force vectors."

Ignoring the calculation method of the actual thrust loads (which I calculate based on Process Engineering's computer modeled fluid conditions at discharge of PSV and at downstream points and also applying a conservative DLF of 2.0), what do the experts think is the correct way of doing this static analysis? Shouldn't it be like this (in Miyamoto's example):

L1 = W+P1+T1 (OPE)
L2 = W+P1+T1+F1 (OPE)
L3 = W+P1+T1+F2 (OPE)
L4 = W+P1+T1+F3 (OPE)
L5 = W+P1+T1+F4 (OPE)
L6 = W+P1 (SUS)
L7 = L1-L6 (EXP)
L8 = L2-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F1
L9 = L3-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F2
L10 = L4-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F3
L11 = L5-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F4
L12= L6+L8 (OCC) use Scalar Combination Method