Hi Everyone,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I'm currently investigating some some static force combinations on a PSV vent system.

In this system I have included some standard project guides with a gap of 3mm. These guides are particularly important as it prevents large loads being applied to a small connections attached to vessels. Herein lies my issue. Please refer to the example loadcases to illustrate my normal stress check for occasional forces applied to the system.

L1: W+P1+T1 OPE
L2: W+P1+T1+F1 OPE
L3: W+P1 SUS
L4: L2-L1 OPE
L5: L3+L4 OCC

My problem is that when chekc my guide loads in my Operating Case (L2), I notice that my guide has been engaged, as my displacement has been stopped at 3.0mm. When I look at my occasional load case (L5) to check my system stresses due to the applied force, I see that at the same node where I checked my guide load, the displacement is now 5.9mm and I subsequently run into over stress problems at my vessel connection.

If I remove my gaps, CAESAR will recognise that a 0.0mm gap exists and my problem is solved, but I don't really want to have to go down this path.

Why won't CAESAR recognise my 3mm gap in my guides in my occasional stress check case and halt my lateral displacement at 3.0mm?

Any insight will be helpful.