Sorry guys, I must have asked my question the wrong way.

I realise that I cannot model the mining hose, and that was not my intention. I wanted to model the steel pipe section that is attached to the mining hose. the connection between the steel pipe and the mining hose is an anchor, so really whatever the mining hose does shouldn't effect the steel pipe run.

However the pressure wave from the pump will travel through the mining hose into the steel pipe run. I was going to try to analyse the waterhammer effect in the steel pipe run.

But I thought that maybe the mining hose would dampen the pressure waves before they reached the steel pipe run, in which case I wouldn't have to worry about doing a water hammer analysis?

Also, the pressure wave velocity in the mining hose is very small compared to the velocity in the steel pipe. So I assume the wave must suddenly increase in speed when it goes from the mining hose to the steel pipe? To keep the same energy I would have thought that it would have to reduce in pressure or something?

If I did assume the pressure wave made it to the steel pipe system, I need to calculate the magnitude of the pressure wave. Calculating P using the E of the mining hose gives a very small P, but by using E of the steel pipe you get a large P. Which P do I use for the water hammer analysis in the steel pipe? Do I use the P from the mining hose, because that's where the pressure wave started?

What are your thoughts?

[ September 02, 2001: Message edited by: Wesley Taylor ]