Thank you very much for you guidance.

I read Mr. Peng newsletter on pressure elongation and looked at ASME B31.3.

My senior and I had a discussion with client regarding a chilled water network. They are very much worried about the pressure thrust acts on the elbows & requirement of thrust blocks at each elbows with a capability of carrying heavy loads because of the pipe size (36”), flow rate (30,000 GPM) & pressure inside the pipe 150 psig.

My senior explained them “for metallic piping thrust blocks are not required at elbow as the displacement is very less, and if there is an expansion joint in the piping system it is significant to provide thrust blocks. Thrust blocks at each elbow are unnecessary and it requires enormous force to hold the pipe because of thermal growth or contraction moreover it is not advisable two anchors in a single line, so he placed an anchor in the middle of the line.” Also as like Mr. MoverZ mentioned, he clarified that the internal pressure at the elbow and pipe will cause axial/hoops pressure stress and this stress will be distributed overall piping as axial stress after this is compared with allowable stress limit.

Client hardly accepts this and they asked again the huge amount of force where it is distributed and how? And they need a manual calculation to prove this with CAESAR II results for a single line with elbow. Hope I may get valuable suggestions from our members to prove this and offer them better justification.