Dear Mr. Richard,

In Caesar-II how the thermal displacement is calculated with respect to the ambient temperature (i.e.)

Case-1 - If the ambient temperature is default ambient temperature (21 Deg C)

Design Temp is 84 Deg C

The change in temperature may be 84-21 = 63 deg C and the corresponding thermal coefficient shall be used to calculate the thermal displacement.

Case-2 - If the ambient temperature is reduced to 12 Deg C

Design Temperature is 84 deg C

The change in temperature may be 84 -12 = 72 deg C and the corresponding thermal coefficient shall be used to calculate the thermal displacement.

From the above two cases, the results of expansion stress may vary due to different change in temperatures such as 63 and 72 deg C.

But the displacement must be same, since at ambinet temperature (21 deg C), the thermal coefficient is zero (assumed universally). So when the ambient temperature is 12 deg C, displacement process shall be as follow (i.e.) at 12 deg C, the pipe will be in contraction till it reaches the ambient temperature (21 deg C) and after raising above the ambient temperature the pipe will expand till it reaches the temperature of 84 deg C.

The query is as follows,

How Caesar-II is calculating the displacement (i.e.) Is caesar-II calculates the total displacement from (12 to 84) or from (21 to 84)?

If it calculates from 12 to 84, why it is not showing the vector values such as negative displacement for contraction and positive displacement for expansion.

Please clarify......