Dear Sir/Friends,

It is really interesting to learn about Vic. Coupling and its real world application. I read your post and view the Victaulic coupling model, it is nice. I have couple of doubts, kindly clarify me.

1. In the word file that you have attached, the 4th point, you stated to locate an anchor (assumed a straight line pipe) at one end and in other end to allow the Vic. Couplings move freely. Do I understand it correct? If yes, the anchor loads at the one end would be more which requires huge foundation, instead the anchor is shifted to center then both sides Vic. Couplings are provided to reduce the thermal expansion which may reduce the anchor load as well as in foundation size and thermal expansion too.

a. Please correct me if my understanding is wrong?

b. For an ‘L’ shaped line which is the best place to locate the anchor and Vic. Coup. say one end is free and other end is connected to a main line inside the plant.

2. Kindly explain me the 5th point in detail. The attached page 048 is missing it is to calculate the yield moment. Also I don’t get the point how Vic. Coupling becomes flexible if the applied bending moment exceeds a certain value.

3. I have calculated the pressure thrust force, in CAESAR II how to apply this. I applied the pressure thrust force as shown in fig. 3 page 18 June, 1998. Is it correct? Also for STYLE 77 from 06.04 Vic. Catalogue page No. 1 states that the coupling is offered for pressures up to 1000 psi. Is this pressure limit for circumferential direction? But inside the table the Max. Work Pressure limit is low compared to this value.

4. Finally, torsion moment, how to calculate this? I observed in CAESAR II model you had given stiffness (RZ-Pipe axis) torsion moment. Page 047 is missing from your word file.

Thanks in advance.