Hi,

I am trying to apply the EN1998-1 seismic code to a system I have modeled. I have previously used the spectrum generator in the dynamic section to generate a spectrum according to the ASCE7 code. However, I would like to compare it to a model of the same system with the EN1998-1 Seismic code applied at the dynamic analysis stage.

My method, I thought, would be simple.. First I calculated the system according to ASCE7 using factors from the code to generate the curve. Then I thought I was able to copy the file (as the model is identical in static stage) and apply the EN1998-1 code. In Excel I generated a number of points to model the response curve described in the EN code. I thought I could simply open the copied file and go to the "edit spectra data" tab and just change the data points to suit the curve in EN1998-1. However, when I ran the model and went to my combined load cases for stresses I was getting the EXACT same values as the ASCE7 curve, despite the curves being slightly different.

Am i doing something wrong?

I didn't want to use the 'user defined time history wave form' option because my data was exactly laid out the same way as in ASCE7- i.e. Period vs g's.