Perhaps I am overly conservative, it seems so are the majority of opinions expressed by various people in this thread your opinion seems to be the only voice supporting your position. However in order to clarify this issue as I understand once and for all for the community of people all around the world engaged in the design and analysis of piping systems I propose the following. “Flexmen” can send in a code inquiry to the B31.1 and B31.3 code committees. We each will be meeting soon this September so perhaps this can be settled soon.

I suggest you read the chapter of each code book on how to submit an inquiry…. Basically you send a question, which reflects your point of view and a Yes or No response. (see link below) If I don’t see an inquiry by the end of August I will submit an inquiry to both committees as follows…

Proposed Inquiries:

Question1:
Does B31.X require that all piping systems be evaluated for Occasional loads such as seismic acceleration forces, wind forces or Pressure relief valve unbalanced relieving loads, non-concurrently with each other…

Answer1:
Yes, occasional loads shall be considered see para. XXXX

Question 2:
Does B31.X when evaluating occasional loads such as seismic acceleration forces; wind forces or Pressure relief valve unbalanced relieving loads require that the Sh value used for the code allowed value be based upon the maximum operating temperature that the system will be operated at?

Answer2:
Yes see para. XXXX

This will help all parties concerned and the community as a whole… (Interestingly B31.3 and I believe B31.1 recently balloted something concerning seismic design)

An email sent out to the contact information below should suffice.

So the next move is yours FLEXMEN but then again if you do not submit said inquiries I will submit them and then will post the results on this thread, afterwards I will ask Coade to lock this thread.

Link for preparation of inquiry per B31.3 http://cstools.asme.org/csconnect/pdf/CommitteeFiles/3565.PDF

Contact information for B31.1
James N. Shih
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Three Park Avenue
New York, NY 10016
Phone: (212) 591-8539
Fax: (212) 591-8501
shihj@asme.org

Contact information for B31.3
Noel Lobo
The American Society of Mechanical Engineers
Three Park Avenue