Dear all:

According to John's Breen post,I'll try to explain in other words.

1) The code calculation for this concrete situation is ASME B31.1

2) The situation I am referring to will be better reflected if we treat a case of a process pipe. This process pipe would be a steam pipe, which runs from the boiler till the turbine, including a bypass valve that will give service to the condenser.

There are 2 different possible situations where the pipe will operate.

a) The first one, where all the pipe, from the boiler to the turbine, will be at the highest temperature, and the pipe that goes to the condenser will be at environement temperature.

b)The second case, would be when the bypass valve appears in scene, so that the pipe that runs to the condenser will operate at a certain high temperature and the zone of turbine entry will be cold.

c)The third case won't be described, since it would be a similar case to the first one, where a second boiler would appear.

Said that, we can understand easily that the pipe of turbine entry may be very hot (Case a, 560 ºC),or at environement temperature (25ºC, case b)

The verification of this part of pipe is my discussion issue.

Do not forget what I have said previously in my post, the loads due to seismic event (Seismic1,2=Ope1,2+Seismic-Ope1,2(Algebraic), for that, we will have three seismic values instead of only one. Evidently, if there is only a value, the question has no sense).

After all, I am not convinced of when we verify the Socc,in the case b., CAESAR II is comparing against a temperature which is not the one of the pipe when the event happens, but it would be the temperature if the event happened when this part of pipe were working in the case a. Due to this fact, I am not totally agree with what the CAESAR II calculates.

I hope, I had explained better my doubt and, you , Mr Breen could give me your point of view.

Yours sincerely,