This is my first response in this forum, even though I’ve been following it closely for quite some time. I’m a new entrant in this field with just around 4 yrs of experience. I just wanted to record my views as a younger generation representative. If I’m wrong, all my respected seniors pl. feel free to correct me.

As I observe from the discussions, I feel its all blame game. It’s a basic fact that any field will have new entrants. Unfortunately the time, in which young guys like me entered this field, the field is bombarded with software programs and fast paced projects. Many young guys like me (to my knowledge) are taking time out to learn the concepts and code requirements as we try and fulfill our Boss’s requirements, expectations the whole day. But to match up the knowledge level of all seniors, pl. understand we need some time. With the demanding work pressures, this is taking more than expected time. This situation is not a favorable one for young engineers but unfortunately we have entered that phase.

Now the question of who is a better stress engineer? I have heard two school of thoughts. One saying a guy with rich experience and practical knowledge is the best and another claiming a guy with strong theoretical concepts is the best. (Of course an ideal guy shud have an perfect blend of these 2). Bcos in a personal argument with a senior guy about spring hangers I was chided away by that senior for the fact that I have never seen a spring hanger even though I had theoretical base for that argument. (This is another potential topic for discussion!).

So on behalf of the young stress engineers I would like seniors to guide us. I would like my seniors to come up with some kind of learning activity chart.

Some of the issues that could be addressed include (pl. free to add many more)

What are the mandatory requirements to start with?
What other things to look for when we get familiarized with basics?
How important is practical knowledge, what are the things to look for?( I’m afraid we’ll never get practical exposure in the first 10 yrs of our career)
In this fast paced stress analysis world, how do we utilize the so called Garbage in – Garbage out process to learn?

It would be easier to say there’s so much available in net etc. u shud go in search of that? But what guidance can do to the learning process is unbeatable. I feel this is the time seniors do something concrete to transfer their knowledge to the younger generation.

Thanks for ur patience in reading my opinion.