Well Aaron, no offense intended to you personally, but I must take exception to your comment:

"I feel the impetus has to come from ASME, for instance ASME B31.3 should make it mandatory for all comprehensive stress calculations to be checked and approved by a Professional Engineer, this would go a long way to ensuring good QA."

You apparently have a gross misconception of how Codes and Standards work. The American Society of Mechanical Engineers has no legal jurisdiction in the issue you raise. ASME Codes are voluntary consensus documents that are written by committees of volunteers to a scope provided by the American National Standards Institute (our charter is to address design, fabrication, erection, testing and examination. The responsibility of the Code Committee is to try as best we can to codify the concept of good engineering practice. We cannot write LAWS - only your elected officials can do that. These Codes even when adopted by ANSI DO NOT HAVE ANY LEGAL force of law until they are adopted by the government by reference from a law or regulation - typically the local building Code (a Law) references the State of Province building Code which includes ASME B31 Pressure Piping Codes. THEN they have the force of law but only because they have become (by reference) part of the legal Code of Regulations. ASME does not issue Engineers licenses and it has no power to assure that any engineer complies with the Law. It is up to those people that you helped (I hope) to elect to enforce the law.

ASME B31.3 can only define words and terms used within their Code. B31.3 can define the intention of the Code, as written, in defining "responsibilities" of owner, designer, etc. but then it is up to your government to assure that the Law of the land is upheld. ASME does not have a police department.

Write your lawmaker.

Regards, John