Hi Ed,

You are too harsh on us. We really try to serve the ME community but even ASME has a budget. You can look at the P&L Statement it is public.

".....scan and index these old papers and make them available for download from the website." They would not have to scan them they "own" them and if someone could make a "business case" for putting them out as a paperback collection it would not be difficult. Take a look at the the price of any collection (Special Publication) of papers from any recent PVP division conference - talk about sticker shock!! But if they cannot cover their costs it won't happen - that is called good fiscal management - something the membership demands to keep the membership dues (which are already high) within "reason".

Consider the fact that with the exception of the paid employees in NEW YORK (again) everything (e.g., Code Committees) that happens in ASME is volunteerism. It comes out of somebody's pocket most often ours. Somebody (maybe John Luf) once said "Ask not what the ASME can do for you; ask what you can do...."

Aaron,
Hang in there maybe there is something that can be done to get these papers into a more available package. I suspect it would not be legal to scan them in (a *.pdf file of all 5 papers would be HUGE) and put them on an Internet site. It would be a legal liability to anyone who hosted the web site but I know that the Bonny Forge Bulletin 502, "Flange Design" is out there as a (HUGE) scanned-in *.pdf file.

Fridays are for venting - sigh

Regards, John.