The problem you describe is very complex, it is not a simple question. A knowledgeable consultant would require several days to sort out this system.

However, I can offer a few tips and things to watch for.

• Make sure any interaction between bundles (or bundle and header) is addressed properly, i.e. don't assume nozzle displacements unless the nozzle is on equipment. If you assume a displacement (at a location where a branch meets a header), you are ignoring the interaction between the two systems. Depending on the magnitude of this interaction, you could be close to the correct answer, or completely wrong.
  • Be careful with rigid body motion problems, if you are counting on large displacements and friction. Remember that CAESAR II, like most <em>first order</em> analysis packages assumes small displacements and small angles. Large displacements and <em>second order effects</em> are not addressed.
  • Friction is a non-conservative force - what goes in may not necessarily come out - static and sliding friction are not the same. There is an good writeup on friction in the CAESAR II Technical Reference Manual.
  • Along the same line of thought, be careful with the friction configuration, this can change the results. Read the on-line help on these items and play with them to ensure you have a good solution.

I hope this helps.

------------------
Regards,
Richard Ay (COADE, Inc.)

[This message has been edited by rich_ay (edited February 25, 2000).]