Hello,

I am currently working on a stress analysis for a main steam system which has cold spring built into it. Just prior to running it, I'm beginning to have second thoughts about the load cases. I looked at the recommended cases from the software, but changed them to what I though would be the proper cases. I attached a picture below showing the difference.

Why wouldn't L4 be a sustained load case?...Is Caesar telling me that I should not compare the stresses calculated in L4 to the sustained allowables? Why?

Another issue that I was wondering about was warning 78E that I got in this model. It says: "COLD SPRING and HANGER DESIGN are requested in the SAME job. The hanger restrained weight run should be made without concentrated loads. Concentrated loads activate cold spring effects in CAESAR II analyses."

So as a result of that warning, I chose not to put F1 into L1. Is that basically what that warning was trying to accomplish?

And I have one more general question about cold spring...If a client requests displacement information for a piping sytem with cold spring, I would include the cold spring in the displacement calculations, correct? Like in this case, use displacements for L3 as I defined it in the attached picture.

Thanks in advance! Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments
449-loadcases.JPG