Quote:

I did not see any problem with the Coade flange calculation which is based on the codes.

…while I can see a problem in!

The ASME VIII equations are specifically written for the design case.

Exactly this is the problem: ASME VIII includes equations for the design case.
That’s why the Flange calculator is an excellent design tool. And that’s why for the purpose of the piping flange checking under the operational loads (operational pressure, operational axial force and operational bending moment), the flange calculator fails until the point the evaluated forces are not in mechanical equilibrium!

For the piping flange checking case:
-It would be more realistic a W sensitive to the bolt initial tightening stress, but we haven’t such equation in Code.
-The Taylor Forge "operating" HG=W_m1 – H isn’t a Code equation. If you are working with substitutions in this equation, based on the relation(1) of the VIII Div1, appendix 2, the result would be HG proportional with pressure, which is not true.
More realistic is the function HG= W-H= W- P* Pi/4 *G^2 for the operating pressure load. Or, if we have p, F and M loads, more realistic formulas are
HG= W- P* Pi/4 *G^2- F- 4*M/G or
HG = W- P* Pi/4 *G^2- F- 4*M* [I/(0.3846*Ip+I)]/G if you accept the Koves theory. But these formulas are not Code formulas.

The improved Flange Calculator would be based on such equations that are not really ASME Code equations, but are in agreement with the ASME approach!

PS.

Ibrahim,

still want "to make this topic one of the sticky topics on the forum to cut this kind of discussions on the subject"? :-)

My best regards,

Edited by mariog (10/03/08 09:06 AM)