In this weekend I had some time to spend reviewing what I did.

In my previous post I said:

If calculated correct, the p+p1 total pressure shall produce exactly the same stress and exactly the same J factor and exactly the same flange rotation angle as ASME VIII Div2 predicts for p and Me and Fa loads.

Well, I have to recognize it is not the case with my previous result. The mistake is the load on gasket within 2007 ASME VIII Div.2 is specifically written for the design case. In fact it’s rather something elementary. Hmm…. That is, mea culpa. I’ve made the correction now (at least I hope so…).

I’m not interested to associate my name with a more accurate method but to use a correct relation for the EQP. That’s why this second draft is the last one. What I’ve put in writing is just an invitation for everybody to think about.
Obviously, there are a lot of intelligent people associated with this forum and able to do a better work. Please do it!
That’s why if you find out something valuable in my paper, you can use it with no restrictions.

Apart from my stupidity, some of my previous conclusions are still valid. The Kellogg formula is over-conservative; the pressure equivalence must be seen just a math substitution. The first sentence is well known, the second one I think is the only real contribution I had in this matter.

Probably, the only reason for which it is worth to use the pressure equivalent concept is the possibility to limit the total pressure to the rating pressure.
It would be interesting to see your opinion, and in fact the original question of this post was exactly this. Thanks, wromero!

About Kellogg formula. I said I have a deep respect for the Kellogg work and this is true.

By one hand, the classical Kellogg method was missed the factor FM. This factor just says “the flange is not a simple circular plate”. At the time of the Kellogg work, this factor was unknown. Today it appears to be a big progress. Thank you, Dr. Koves!

By the other hand, we are abusing on Kellogg formula by considering also the compressive force as generating a positive equivalent pressure. In reality, only a tensile axial force is reducing the load on gasket and consequently increasing the danger of leakage. A compressive force is helping the flange joint. Also, a torsion moment is not acting as a bending moment for the gasket stress, so such moments shouldn’t be mixed in the formula.

In the paper I’ve used some consistent ideas belong to Chuck Becht. Thank you and I’ve just hope I’ve understood well…

My best regards and my apologies for the mistake.

And finally I’ve just “succeeded” to post a wrong file. I try to re-attach the “right” version.
It’s clear I need your help, I need to finish my project and I need a long vacation!

Attachments
368-3_EQPRESSURE.pdf (2386 downloads)