This is unofficial but it's the story I tell...

Tony was quite experienced with pipe stress software by the time he set out to introduce his program. All the existing packages had "Pipe" or "Flex" in their names (Triflex, Dynaflex, Pipeline, PipeSD, ADLPipe, etc.) and he wanted to try something else - CAESAR. Note there is no "II". The acromyn being Computer Aided Engineering Structural Analysis Routines. The long term goal was not to simply produce a pipe stress program but a finite element package for use by piping and pressure vessel engineers. But the pipe element was released first as that would generate revenue to continue development. CAESAR took off. (Later, Tony's partner, Rex Evans, wanted to stay with piping while Tony wanted to move on other FEA work. Tony sold his half of COADE to Rex and that funded Tony's new company, Paulin Research Group. In fact Tony's pursuing that path even now.)

Now about that "II". What I heard was that the lawyers from Caesars Palace sent Tony a letter stating that he could not use the name CAESAR for his program. He added the "II" to skirt the issue.

There was never a CAESAR I - a CAESAR Jr., yes, but that's another short story.