Wow! What a discussion. I hope it's not too late to add my 2¢.

Back at the beginning of this thread, you mentioned that you didn't see that CAESAR II was properly recognizing your forces when sizing your springs. Bob Z. mentioned that you need to include F1, F2 etc. in your load cases. He's absolutely correct, but what may have been over looked on your part is the Forces also need to be added to those first two load cases CAESAR uses to size the springs.

Since Force inputs can also be used for occasional loadings such as relief valve thrust loads, that you don't want to be considered in your spring sizing, CAESAR does not automaticly include them if you elect to have CAESAR set up your loads cases. You will need to add the F1, F2 etc. to both your hanger sizing load cases and your operating and weight load cases.

Let me give you a couple more pointers about CAESAR designed springs. If you have used the CAESAR default for the hanger table you want CAESAR to use, chances are it gave you the smallest size spring hanger that will do the job. Review the Hanger Table Help Facility for all of the options that will allow you to size the springs exactly like you want them, I like the "+400" which is "center the hot load". Sometimes this will cause CAESAR to give you the next larger size spring. This will help insure that your Hot Load or Cold Load is not at the bottom of the spring scale and you have a better chance of staying with the same spring when small changes occur that will affect the weight.

An ending note, excellent points made by Edward, Bob and Richard Aye.

Kevin Monroe