Hi all,
I'm having a big problem with a TFA from a huge turbine purchaser which states that he wants zero dead weight loads during erection on the turbine nozzles, based on NEMA SM-23 item 8.4.5, ("the dead weight load should be entirely supported by pipe hangers or supports").I reply, stating that this intrepetation is impossible because if we have even a short straight pipe segment between the last support and the nozzle, the dead weight load will be divided between these two restraints.Actually the piping layout that I have is a spring hanger support a curve then a vertical pipe with a flange that connect to the turbine nozzle. He wants that with the nozzle disconnected, the spring supports all the dead weight load. I reply, saying that the spring was calculated for operational case with the nozzle connected and if it carries all the dead weight load with the nozzle disconnected, it would be designed not for operation but for installation wihich is not the purpose. Have one of you faced a similar problem ? How can I defeat this misunderstanding interpretation of NEMA ? Any help ?

Thank you in advance.