Rajesh,

Substituting "common practice" with "common sense" is a risky proposition. Unless you're the principal stress engineer at Technip with authority to depart from common practice, to omit the water weight in the spring support (i.e., common sense to you) may get you into real troubles.

Years ago working at Lummus I asked my boss, Rex Evans, about this same question and he told me a story: During the start-up of a plant, the support beam of a large pump had been found bent and the millwright couldn't get the pump shaft aligned, or vice versa. Also found out was that the pipe spring had ignored the water weight. That stress analyst was later fired. Any surprise?

Remember, this pump spring question embodies an age-old dilemma. Every stress engineer has one time of another pondered over it. Eventually all seem to have come to terms with what the common practice stands.

Again, UNLESS you're the principal stress engineer at Technip, my advice to you is to abide by the common practice--let the spring bear the water weight, however unwise in your opinion.

Be also aware that CAESAR II program applications and its seminar teaching adhere to common practices. You'll find an example on the use of pump spring in Tutorial A, Chapter 8, Application Guide. The spring is sized to carry the water weight.

By the way do you know Rex Evans? Umpteen years ago he broght the first copy of CAESAR II program to Malaysis, plus many other countries. He had a stroke on October 28, and now is recuperating. If you're among his friends, his children ask your prayer for a speedy recovery.