Topic Options
#877 - 01/07/03 10:51 PM Output Report - "Seam=NO"
Andy123 Offline

Loc: Singapore
The output of the Caesar report II (ver. 4.3) shows me a sentence indicating ‘Seam=No’. I fail to understand where I control the display of this parameter. This does not appear in other CAESAR II files opened from the same version. I experience this problem in couple of specific files. This is evident when the allowable stresses are taken as per B 31.3.

What does ‘Seam=No’ indicate. Does it mean the pipe is seamless? If yes, where does it take the value from? We only Specify a Pipe material as API 5L B, which is applicable for both Seamless and ERW pipes. Thanks

#878 - 01/08/03 09:41 AM Re: Output Report - "Seam=NO"
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
The flag for seam welded is only active if the piping code is set to TD/12. Otherwise Seam=NO is assumed.

#879 - 01/09/03 05:00 AM Re: Output Report - "Seam=NO"
Andy123 Offline

Loc: Singapore
From the indicated replies,it is understood that both the queries(Seam=No and + Mill tolerance) are related to the mention of TD/12 code somewhere in the model. I checked the model subsequently for the mention of TD/12. The two areas (ie.. under the allowable stress tag of input spreadsheet and the 'Default Code' of SIF's and STRESSES tag under Configure/Setup) where it can be mentioned were checked and found to be showing as 31.3. Is there another place in the model where there could be a mention of TD/12. Thanks.

#880 - 01/09/03 05:39 AM Re: Output Report - "Seam=NO"
Anand Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi
Further to the above , I started a new model; input all the pipe parameters and the allowable stress as per 31.3.
I looked at the preview of the element output and did not show any (+) mill tolerance and ‘Seam=no’. Further I changed the allowable stress code to TD/12. This allowed me access to alter the (+ mill tolerance and Seam). I checked the ouput preview and the output showed me + mill tolerance and Seam=No. I then reverted back the allowable stress to B 31.3 and further checked the output and found that inspite of seam field being inactive the output preview still mentioned it as ‘Seam=No’. What I presume is that the person who might have modeled/analysed the system under consideration might have by mistake taken the code as TD/12 and then reverted back to B 31.3. But then how do one get a chance to change the sentence in the printed output which does not show Seam=No and (+) Mill tolerance.

Regards

#881 - 01/09/03 08:48 AM Re: Output Report - "Seam=NO"
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
You can't. This data is a reflection of the input.

Most of the input items have a "hidden" state which you the user can not see or control. For discussion purposes, lets call this state unspecified.

Now, consider the "Seam Welded Check box". For a new job which is initiated as B31.3 (or anything that is not TD/12) you see this checkbox as "grayed out" and other edit boxes as empty. CAESAR II on the other hand sees these fields as unspecified. Unspecified fields are not reported in the input echo.

Now say you change the piping code to TD/12. The "seam welded check box" now must be either checked or not checked. So we change unspecified to "unchecked", and its state appears in the input echo. Once this happens, this item is either checked or not-checked. You can't get back to the unspecified state.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics