Topic Options
#8383 - 11/03/06 02:25 AM Not Happy.
SUPERPIPER Offline

Loc: Europe
mad
Yet again i have a corrupted file using Caesar.
This is the fourth occourance, and we are losing time because of it.
Our operating program is windows xp, and we utilise the latest Caesar builds.
I've been down the road of "missing end of file" errors before with caesar/Coade and there is nothing to be done.

Occationally CAESAR II/._A files behave strangly as well, for instance:
CAESAR II files do not in the file open window, but exist in the directory
File names apearing on the task pane sometimes do not match the file actually opened.
CAESAR II files only appearing in the open file box if the "pre V5" check box is opened /closed.

not happy.

By the way, why doesn't the Autosave use a BAK. file format.
Then at least we have the abillity of reverting to the last saved file.

ooooh. mad cry

Edited by SUPERPIPER (11/03/06 04:04 AM)

#8385 - 11/03/06 04:47 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: SUPERPIPER]
Captain Kenny Offline

Loc: Scotland
I've noted a similar thing with the file/open dialog. If it opens looking for a *.CAESAR II file and your file is not listed, change the filetype drop down from *.CAESAR II to *._A and back again to *.CAESAR II. The 'missing' files should then be listed.

#8387 - 11/03/06 06:08 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: Captain Kenny]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
the new patch may fix this.... I hope!

John C. Luf

#8397 - 11/03/06 09:14 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: SUPERPIPER]
Loren Brown Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Superpiper,

As far as I can tell this only occurs when the input files are stored on a network drive. Keep your files on your local hard drive and simply copy the completed .CAESAR II files to the network drive to store them.

But if you must work on the network then each computer should have a UserID set. To do this open Caesar and select Tools->Configure/Setup->Miscellaneous and type in 3 letters for the UserID. This is then stored in the computer's registry. It is not a password and is machine-specific, not user-specific.

What this does is append the UserID as a file extension to the Control file that resides in each directory where Caesar files exist. This control file has a lot to do with missing files or wrong files appearing, and many other unusual errors.

When one person is working on a file in a given network directory and then another user accesses a different file on the same directory the control file will be corrupted and all sorts of unpredictable behavior will result... unless you have the UserID set. If two people access the same file in the same location at the same time there is nothing we can do to help you and you could very well lose the file or completely corrupt it.

If you use the File->Open command to open files instead of the MRU list then there will be a backup copy of your input file (._A) located in your %temp% folder on your hard drive. Simply open Windows Explorer and type in %temp% for the address and then press the Enter key on your keyboard and you can look through the input files there.

When you are experiencing crazy behavior in Caesar the first thing you should do is note in the main menu Title Bar the path where Caesar is starting. Open Windows Explorer and go to that folder and delete the control file (either no file extension or the one with your UserID as the file extension). Then close Caesar and re-open it. Now the title bar should say Untitled at the end. If it doesn't then you deleted the wrong control file, go back and try again. If it does say Untitled for the file name then you can start at File->Open and everything should return to normal.
Intergraph Process, Power, & Marine
12777 Jones Road, Ste. 480, Houston, TX 77070 USA

#8440 - 11/06/06 07:13 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: Loren Brown]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
I agree with Loren. We have 7 or 8 users at our site; each has a user ID set, and we have not had this problem even though we routinely post files to the network for checking.

#8565 - 11/13/06 02:08 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: CraigB]
C B Smith Offline

Loc: Golden, Colorado
I am running Caesar II 5.005 (build 061005) from my C:\drive, local key on the back of my machine, files saved on my "personnel" network drive per company standards (no one else can access my section of the network drive). I even added a user ID set based on this discussion, figuring it wouldn't hurt. I have been operating this way for more than 8 years. Last month we added a single seat network key for a new engineer. He runs Caesar from the network and stores his files on his network drive. He is not here today, therefore no one else in the office is using Caesar.

Just before lunch I ran a model, looked at the results, closed the Static Output Processor, clicked on "Analysis" and accidentaly got the Static Analysis, canceled out of there. Then I clicked on "Analysis" again, chose NEMA SM-23, opened my NEMA file and went to get the results from the static analysis output. My Caesar file was not there. Another file disappeared last week but I forget the sequence of events that lead up to that disappearance. I did find the ._A file in C:|Temp but it is the one before I made changes.

Before the network version of Caesar was added, that I don't even use, I never had any problems with lost files.

CB Smith

#8566 - 11/13/06 02:13 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: C B Smith]
John C. Luf Offline

C.B. Smith... immediately download and install the latest build 061102 it should help prevent this type of loss!!!!!

Also register with COADE so that you are notified of builds....

Yes losing work stinks but YOU must keep up with updates... this all stems back to the millions of flavors of the Windows OS and its various states of patches from PC to PC!

Edited by John C. Luf (11/13/06 02:27 PM)

John C. Luf

#8568 - 11/13/06 03:00 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
Loren Brown Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Yes, the esteemed Mr. Luf is correct. This all stems from the multiple flavors of Windows OS. When they update your computers silently at night some of those updates can mess with computer code that was fine the night before. We try to keep up and make appropriate changes to keep everything running smoothly, but sometimes it is a game of catch-up with Windows changes. But keeping current with the software builds is your best defense against bugs. This disappearing file problem has been solved in the latest build.
Intergraph Process, Power, & Marine
12777 Jones Road, Ste. 480, Houston, TX 77070 USA

#8569 - 11/13/06 04:41 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: Loren Brown]
John C. Luf Offline

Hardly esteemed! Just imagine if automobiles were designed and constructed like computer software, one brand uses levers and push buttons, another a set of wheels and levers, and cars by microsoft that would mysteriously stop for no apparent reason....

Computers are wonderful and sometimes painful simultaneously!!!!

John C. Luf

#9399 - 01/16/07 07:59 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
Roy Bridgwater Offline

Loc: UK
I’ve experienced similar problems. Saved a file to a network location & gone to lunch. Tried to open input file after lunch, the review units file dialogue box appears as if you’re creating a new file and previous input has disappeared. Frustrating!! Using build 061005.

Better see if I can find a backup file!!

Regards

Roy

#9400 - 01/16/07 08:02 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: Roy Bridgwater]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
1) All Registered Users were notified when the 061102 build was released. If you did not receive this e-mail, please register the software - this is the only way we have of contacting users.

2) The 061102 build did correct this problem. Update your installation.

#9414 - 01/17/07 03:48 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: Roy Bridgwater]
SUPERPIPER Offline

On friday, with the latest build, One of our engineers had a file disappear during a check run (again).
I.T. cuurently backing up from Thursday

As Ren and Stimpy once said:

Happy Happy joy joy...........

#9422 - 01/17/07 06:07 PM Re: Not Happy. [Re: SUPERPIPER]
John C. Luf Offline

Superpiper,

Are you chaps working across a network???? (If so get your IT people to give you details about the setup and email the same to ray@coade.com.) This may be part of your problem....

I suggest running files on your PCs' local drives and uploading them back to the network at days end.

Losing ones work truly does stink!!!! On the other hand I dropped a tray of punch cards once and spent probably more time than you will recreating the whole job on the beast known as ME-101.

Thats all I can advise for know... too bad you loist the file!

John C. Luf

#9424 - 01/18/07 02:24 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
SUPERPIPER Offline

I can't do that john, a few years ago, one of our analysist's computers hard drive give up the ghost, and lost weeks of work, so no we are required by procedure to use the network.

#9426 - 01/18/07 06:11 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: SUPERPIPER]
John C. Luf Offline

ARGGGGHHHH well thats it then slave to procedures... and as we all are slave to Microjerks!

John C. Luf

#9427 - 01/18/07 06:35 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
John C. Luf Offline

Well one more thought.... something I do for my present team....

Buy a 1 or 2 gig memory drive... get a copy of synctoy here.... http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/prophoto/synctoy.mspx

And do your own back ups 3 times a day....

John C. Luf

#9428 - 01/18/07 06:52 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
John C. Luf Offline

Oh... and when you go to install the latest version of Synctoy you may need to update your Microsoft.net framework to V2.0... I just did on this box....

ARRRRGHHHH E6

John C. Luf

#9432 - 01/18/07 09:18 AM Re: Not Happy. [Re: John C. Luf]
CraigB Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Superpiper - can you at least save your files to a thumb drive? They're awfully small files, you could fit several years' worth of work on a 128 MB thumb drive.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 43 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics