Topic Options
#8245 - 10/23/06 11:46 AM Revisiting Sustained Load Cases
Pickles Offline

Loc: Australia
G'day guys... Jebus.... practically spent the whole night reading all the previous posts pertaining to the above but I am still at a lost. I have a system with a constant spring that is fully defined. After running the load cases, I get (yep you guessed it) a failed sustained load case though everything else is ok. Question is... in my sustained case, is it wrong for me to have only W+P1 and exclude the H (for the hanger I have)? Caesar recommends that SUS be W+P1+H. Another thing is given a U-bolt that allows the pipe to move axially... does me specifying a restraint of +Y with 2mm gap and a GUIDE with 2mm gap for that node represents a fair model of this restraint? This restraint follows the Constant effort Hanger and on the other end of the CS is a nozzle that is showing the failed SUS value.

#8246 - 10/23/06 12:02 PM Re: Revisiting Sustained Load Cases [Re: Pickles]
John C. Luf Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Wow
1 at a time.....

Q1
Is it wrong for me to have only W+P1 and exclude the H (for the hanger I have)?
A1
Yes, the H is for the spring or constant support force by not including the H you have in essence deleted these supports in that load case.... Hence if your system was supported only by springs / constants you would have a completely unsupported system.

Q2
Another thing is given a U-bolt that allows the pipe to move axially... does me specifying a restraint of +Y with 2mm gap and a GUIDE with 2mm gap for that node represents a fair model of this restraint?
A2 The 2 mm gap you have called out will allow the pipe to sag 2 mm downwards before it "touches" the support in essence removing it as a support. If you want to model the upwards restraint call out a -Y with 2mm gap, along with a + y of no gap.

Summation...
Pickles you seem like a good guy in a [censored] situation you have been thrown into deep water with no swimming lessons ahead of time.... Tell your boss you feel uncomfortable and tell him you need training, as well as an experienced person to at least review your work for sanity!!!

The use of a computer solution by inexperienced persons working alone is fraught with negative outcomes!

John C. Luf

#8247 - 10/23/06 12:13 PM Re: Revisiting Sustained Load Cases [Re: John C. Luf]
Pickles Offline

Loc: Australia
Thanks John... couldn't agree more... just read the initial post and - yep a bit of desperation there - Fully understand why the hanger is included in the SUS load case.

#8249 - 10/23/06 05:39 PM Re: Revisiting Sustained Load Cases [Re: Pickles]
John Breen Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA (& Texas)
Look at that!!!

The new software let the esteemed Mr. Luf say "[censored]"!!! Maybe the new software is an adaptive system and it has been reading his responses to it overzealousness. I wonder if this will give our esteemed (and very elder) statesman license to thrill with his verbal agility. Hmmmmm.

Regards, Your humble observer John. wink

Edited by John Breen (10/23/06 05:40 PM)

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics