Topic Options
#76738 - 10/14/22 07:23 AM Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover
anubis512 Offline

Loc: USA
Not sure if this is the right location for it or not, but with the announcement of moving active forums to a new location I figured may as well.

From my eye it seems Hexagon's takeover of Integraph products has been extremely clumsy and poorly executed. There's tons of good information that has been lost since they scrubbed all the Coade sites and everything Hexagon provides is buried in their awful website design.

The only nice addition has been the online User Manual.

They could've simply hosted a "legacy document portal" or something where one could find all those old newsletters and other gems but instead they seemed to prefer a scorched earth method. It's been very disappointing.

#76740 - 10/15/22 01:56 PM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
mariog Offline

Loc: Romania
It's American business, that's about it.
Maybe the target is Hexagon stress forum to be the same level as Bentley stress forum. Cannot be surprised, even the word "diversity" is hijacked in our days.
Time to say Goodbye!

#76741 - 10/16/22 01:16 AM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
mariog Offline

Loc: Romania
One more thing... I started with Autopipe on a "386 with math co-processor" computer, when Caesar "experienced" stress guy was a kind of mystic between engineers and his support to the team was rather Zen words. Mentoring someone with "it gives me red, must change something" is not the best one can do, isn't it?
Autopipe was and still is a powerful competitor of Caesar.
No doubt, Caesar has some great improvements over Autopipe like C-Node and no doubt Autopipe gives you more freedom to be creative instead to be focused on handling Caesar, as for example solving non-convergences closing "intelligently" supports' gaps.
But both of them are old generation, I do not speculate here about their future.

What the real engine of Caesar success was?
Just this forum and the amazing information given here. That really imposed Caesar as a standard in piping stress analysis.

In fact that's why I've tried to participate here avoiding to post about specific issues in Caesar, which today are -maybe- a real pain and tomorrow are forgotten.
I've learnt here a lot about stress. I gave back a little.
Thank you for this opportunity!

#76755 - 10/21/22 07:08 AM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
engineer001ch Offline

Loc: China
There are a lot of other resources, where we can find information. Like whatispiping.com
We may switch to other forums like forum.passuite.com or eng-tips
Now a lot of pipe stress trainng courses are available on udemy.com and oter platforms
For me personally it is not a problem. Business is business

#76766 - 10/27/22 12:13 PM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I don't think I heard anywhere that said this forum was being retired, though it makes sense to archive it if there's an improvement somewhere else.

I don't think what's on the smartcommunity fulfills the same role, or perhaps I didn't spend enough time there.

If plotted on a Venn diagram, this promotes general discussion, and the other allows users to vote on ideas. Other activities overlap. There's no upload option, so you have to come up with an alternative method to sending files for help tickets.

If that is to become the replacement, it would make sense to archive the UBB forums for reference. To put things into perspective, the very first message on these forums predates MySpace by 4 years, and Facebook by 5.

#76768 - 10/27/22 03:08 PM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
The plan is to keep these Forums for reference, but set them to "read only". We'll see ,,,

#76769 - 10/30/22 12:06 AM Re: Disappointment with Hexagon Takeover [Re: anubis512]
Jouko Offline

This forum used to be really busy. Ask a question and one of the senior forum members answered all reasonable questions within minutes. Now this is close to a dead forum. There is a reason. Making the forum closed will not help.

I do not know where people move. One thing is for sure. I will not be able to answer on my specialty field = expansion joints.

As part of this last post a warning. Expansion joints are poorly understood. Very many pipe designs that contain them are wrongly designed. Equipment fail and people get injured and unfortunately also die.

If you do not understand 100% what the pressure thrust is then do not include expansion joints into your pipe design.

All the best to everybody.

Jouko
jouko@jat.co.za

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics