Topic Options
#76462 - 05/25/22 10:45 PM Sea transportation study and lashing with straps
ManojLotli Offline

Loc: India
I have a typical case of Sea transportation to be carried out. The entire plant will be split in modules and shipped out from the fabrication yard to the Actual site.
Now for Stress purpose we have built up entire systems running end to end. However for the Sea transport case we will have to break the system into module spools. Is it possible that we can do this in the End to End Caesar file by introducing some flexible element at the break flanges .That way it will relieve the efforts of modelling every module spool separately and studying its behaviour.
Either way we go , the end result is to ensure that every spool stays in place while transportation. This can be done by introducing pipe supports OR by lashing with straps.
Introducing special supports seems fine, but using lashing on the piping spools is a totally different world. In case any info/guidelines is available on lashing of pipes , pls share how to select and mention need of lashing on piping while transport.
Thanks a lot.

#76463 - 05/26/22 02:11 PM Re: Sea transportation study and lashing with straps [Re: ManojLotli]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
One way to do this would be with CNODES.

Assume at a particular node (say 500) this is where you will break the model into two parts. Instead of using node 500, use node 499 on the left-hand part and node 501 on the right-hand part. For the "entire model", define a restraint at node 499 with a CNODE at 501 and set the restraint type to "anchor". When you want to analyze the parts separately, just delete that restraint.

#76470 - 05/31/22 07:49 AM Re: Sea transportation study and lashing with straps [Re: ManojLotli]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
For the first part, I'd use CNODE anchors as Richard suggests, and set stiffness to 0.

If I were responsible for lashing details - and I'd validate I were before I went down that path - I would run a modal analysis to determine where natural frequencies exceed a set value - let's say 15Hz, but understand that's a number pulled from thin air - and choose "support" points to negate those frequencies.

If you want to calculate stresses due to the lashing, then that's a matter of figuring out where your lash points on the pipe and the lash points on the transport are, determining/defining the tension in the lines, and then summing those 2 vectors and applying it to the pipe.

#76479 - 06/02/22 12:12 PM Re: Sea transportation study and lashing with straps [Re: ManojLotli]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
Lashing count as guides / hold down. If you need to do a transportation study try also to fix axially the pipes.
The classification society of the transport ship will give you the accelerations to consider. typically accelerations of 10 years return period storm.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics