Topic Options
#76228 - 02/08/22 12:00 PM onshore Pipeline loops and line stops
leo81457 Offline

Loc: ph
Dear all,

I just want to ask it someone had experience analyzing an onshore, above ground pipeline systems, with multiple loops.

In our company, we designed multiple loops in our analysis to reduce overall displacement of the pipeline. However, I was informed that there is no need to provide an intermediate line stop in between each loops. Just letting it expand on its own is enough, since as they said, the pipeline is not as critical compared to in-plant piping systems.

For me I think the analysis is not gonna be accurate enough and conservative. Because the actual expansion of the pipe is not linear, and the position of the pipe might shift upon operation and also during different expansion cycles. Without a proper restraint holding the pipes, I'm less confident that the analysis we simulate in Caesar will be close enough to what's gonna happen in real pipeline operation. However, they have mentioned that this kind of approach has been done and followed for a long time. Even for lines with slug flow, they don't implement the use of line stops as long as the analysis is acceptable in Caesar, and with the slug force included in the analysis.

Any one can share their thoughts regarding this? Any possible bad effect you can foresee with this approach?

Thank you all in advance.

Edited by leo81457 (02/08/22 12:03 PM)

#76229 - 02/08/22 12:30 PM Re: onshore Pipeline loops and line stops [Re: leo81457]
Jay_Stress Offline

Loc: CCC
just have look on below pints

1) better to have limit stop between the loops to protect pipe from occasional loads
2) find out null point , provide limit stop there ( careful if there is large difference operating and design temperature/any other)
3) limit stop load shall be considered appropriately bcs software will show negligible load if it is in null point, but in actual case it may not be the case.
4) ** U must provide limit stop if you have Surge/ Slug**

Regards
J_stress

#76230 - 02/08/22 02:30 PM Re: onshore Pipeline loops and line stops [Re: leo81457]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I can't disagree with Jay's comments, but will add.

5) CAESAR is a firm believer that the third law of thermodynamics doesn't apply to it. (I say this as a joke.) CAESAR believes every cycle brings everything perfectly back to the installed state. Whether or not you include enough restraints to prevent it from walking off on its own is in your control.

I've seen a pipe that sat perfectly fine for 40 years, through numerous hurricanes, cycling to 500F and back for those 40 years. Then the operators witnessed a large section of it lift off the supports by 3-4 feet and fall off its rack.

What changed? The accidental introduction of a directional anchor because eventually it walked too much into that specific configuration.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics