Topic Options
#76195 - 01/19/22 12:10 PM Add new components to Catalog
GordonK Offline

Loc: Alberta
First time posting, and I'm still learning my way around this software (I'm running 2020R2). Forgive me if I use the wrong terms here, but I want to create a new component, and not have it nested under the original categories eg. Flanges, Pipe, Gaskets/Bolts/Welds etc. I want a new category called (in this case) Paddle Blank.

In the image linked below, I've created a new data table folder. When I create the new table, the pop-up window forces me to fill in a category and type. These have dropdowns that are already populated by the software, from caps to pipe support. How do I add to this list? I want as much control as possible over customizing this, and creating user shapes is not a good long-term solution.

I understand there is likely a lot of learning to do even after I pass this point, but there is so little information online, documentation doesn't even touch on this. If anyone has any resources they want to point out, or know of custom training solutions that are out there, let me know. Thanks.
[img]https://imgur.com/a/LwuxLg3[/img]

#76198 - 01/19/22 05:02 PM Re: Add new components to Catalog [Re: GordonK]
Matt.Worland Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Hello GordonK and welcome to the forums.

You can not add to that list, it is hardcoded. You can, however, add custom Groups in the spec editor. These groups just organize how items will show in the spec editor and within CADWorx.

In the View tab of the spec editor, you can choose the Group List Mode.

Then when you look at the properties for an item under the Data Tables, there is a property called Group Name. Type a new custom name in there and it will create a new folder to organinze your items in.

But in the end, you items must come from the list you presented before. If you can not reuse a CADWorx component Data Table, then you must use the User Shapes options.

The only other option in the software to get a different item type is to model that item, in CAD, then run the GENERICATTACH command and add some CADWorx data to that item. This comes with quite a few downsides and is not recommended.

As you are learning CADWorx you can register for our site and browse our articles for self-help. These are found here: Self Help

We also offer custom training to cover anything you would like to learn about CADWorx.

Let me know if you have any questions,
matt

#76201 - 01/20/22 10:09 AM Re: Add new components to Catalog [Re: Matt.Worland]
GordonK Offline

Loc: Alberta
Thank you Matt, glad to know that it is hardcoded. ECE has come up plenty, and I've spoken with a few of your coworkers there already. I did search the site, but haven't come across that self-help section before. Thanks for the advice and help.

Moderator:  Dominik Hepp 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics