Topic Options
#75831 - 08/31/21 07:55 AM Surge force input
SpMangak Offline

Loc: etc
Hello engineers,

I have a stress package which need to consider surge force.
This package starts form pump discharge nozzle and I have received the SURGE force data at each point (Tee, Elbow and valve...) from other engineering partner. But, they did not provide on direction of force. (Please refer to attached simple sketch)

So, my question is how to input this force at CAESAR II model. Do surge forces only need to input forced loads at each point as direction of the fluid? (Ex. Force of 1000 lb on 1 to 2 is entered at #2 point as negative Z direction.)
If not, should I proceed piping stress evaluation from surge force with other method?

Could anyone advise about my question?
Please help me.

Attachments
Surge force.JPG

Edited by SpMangak (08/31/21 07:58 AM)

#75832 - 08/31/21 10:27 AM Re: Surge force input [Re: SpMangak]
Borzki Offline

Loc: Traz
If the surge force data given is the (Force-Time) history from a transient simulation software, you might want to employ time history analysis to consider the dynamic effect in your system. Another approach that I have seen is to convert the time history to force spectrum (from DLF generator of Caesar II). But normally, time history will give a more reliable results as long as the timing of the loads is properly considered in the generation of force-time profile.

Normally the long straight pipe length between elbows have the large surge force. I normally put limit stop in the middle of the run and submit the surge force to Structural group.

Regarding the direction of force, just check the source of the surge (i.e, fast closing valve, pump trip). Normally, the high surge pressure will start from the source of surge, due to the kinetic energy (sudden decrease in velocity to zero) being converted to pressure energy (while the opposite elbow will be at normal operating pressure). You can consider that as your initial direction for the surge force (taken from differential pressure between two points). This pressure wave will echo back & forth in your piping system until such time it losses energy due to dampening effect of friction. Time history analysis will capture the dynamic effects at every time step.

Any other opinion is greatly appreciated. Just correct any wrong statement I've made.

Cheers!!

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics