Topic Options
#75433 - 02/15/21 07:17 AM Executing "Batch Run" via VPN
joeseagle Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
I'm working remote as I'm sure many others are these days. I'm on a laptop that connects to my company's VPN to gain access to the network.

I don't see any significant performance differences between running files on the network vs running on my local hard drive... UNTIL I hit the "Batch Run" button to gain access to the output results.

There is significant delay, up to 2-3 minutes before Caesar appears to do anything after clicking this button. Then after 2-3 minutes, the "Piping Input" screen closes, and you can see the normal files being compressed/uncompressed/modified within the network folder and it proceeds to compute results (slower than normal, but livable once I get to that point).

It is this 2-3 minute delay that I cannot figure out, nor can my IT department. Internet speed is excellent (400+mbps) and latency around 30-60ms. The same files run lightning quick results local to my machine, so its not the machine. I've change config editor to "False" for the "Compress Caesar II Files" setting with no change.

Does anyone have similar experience? What is Caesar doing right after the batch run button is pressed prior to the input processor closing?
Via all the tools we have available it appears nothing is happening, so it would be good to understand the behind the scenes programming to know what could be causing this hang-up.

Thanks to all!

#75435 - 02/17/21 07:23 AM Re: Executing "Batch Run" via VPN [Re: joeseagle]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
Before I worked from home, I was working from a remote office where my files were stored 100 miles away.

While CAESAR wasn't terrible under these conditions, it was still noticeable.

But NozzlePro was the absolute worst - it could take 10-20 seconds to run locally or literally half an hour over the network.

As a side issue, the server consistently took issue with people deleting and renaming files. For whatever reason, the server would just not register that the file stopped being "checked out" for long stretches at a time.

I expect something similar happens here.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics