Topic Options
#74984 - 09/03/20 04:07 AM small groove flange check
vermaccio Offline

Loc: italy
what about flange check for 'small groove' flanges? can i use the "classic" flange check or is it only for RF flanges? how can i check them?

thank you

#74991 - 09/07/20 11:05 AM Re: small groove flange check [Re: vermaccio]
Dorin Daniel Popescu Offline

Loc: Middle East
Your question is unclear and I'm afraid you misunderstood some basic concepts.

As per your question, does it mean that RF flanges are not "classic"-type flanges? - just a brief comment, I haven't met so far "classic"-type concept related to flanged joints.

Now, I'll try to give you some hints since nobody else gave an opinion till now.

Calculation method is not directly related to sealing-type surface.

Analysis formulas depend mainly on the flange construction type - e.g. integral (welded neck), slip-on etc.

Referring to ASME VIII-1 App. 2 and/or ASME VIII-2 Para. 4.16 methods, the sealing-type surface (Small-groove, RF, ring-joint (RTJ) type flanges etc.) and gasket-type are accounted when effective gasket width "b" is calculated and when "m" factor asnd "Y" stress level are considered.

But the calculation method (e.g. integral type or loose type flange) is employed as per flange construction.

Conclusion:
You can use any Code provided calculation method for "small groove" flange. First, decide what type of construction flange you have - integral or loose type.
Then, depending on your sealing surface type and gasket type (honestly, I am not aware what do you mean by "small groove") you have to decide how you calculate effective "b" width" and what "m" & "Y" parameters you'll use for your gasket.

I hope this will help. I am not particularly found of flange joints topics, although it's really interested...I am just trying to apply Codes provisions and that's all...

HINT: Do a search for "MARIOG" member posts. He has been long-time preoccupied of Flange Joints calculation and posted interested topics regarding this subjects. Maybe will help you in some way.

Best regards,

Lead Piping Stress Engineer

#75013 - 09/15/20 02:02 AM Re: small groove flange check [Re: vermaccio]
vermaccio Offline

Loc: italy

i was talking about Pressure Equivalent method for flange check, not asmeVIII method.

using Pressure Equivalent method, you have to choose the gasket diameter.
Here the question:
a flange RF, a flange RJ and a flange SG (small groove) have different couplings and gaskets. So, how can that method good for all flange types?

Can i use Pressure Equivalent method for a small groove flange or a RJ flange? or does Pressure Equivalent method apply only to RF flanges? caesar automatically insert a gasket diameter, i thing the RF gasket type mdiameter, this is my problem.

(note: for small grove flange see http://www.mpjainco.com/pipe-flanges/tongue-groove-flange-manufacturer-exporter/)

#75017 - 09/15/20 12:00 PM Re: small groove flange check [Re: vermaccio]
Dorin Daniel Popescu Offline

Loc: Middle East
Just for your knowledge: Equivalent Pressure Method is also documented now by ASME VIII-1 Para. UG-44, so that this Method is also an ASME VIII-1 SCREENING approach.

Then, prior to ASME VIII-1 2019 Ed., Equivalent Pressure Method was long time documented by ASME BPVC III-1/NC, Para. 3658.1.

Briefly, this method was initially dedicated to ANSI/ASME B16.5 flanges, to perform a fast and simple SCREENING assessment of non-pressure/piping loads superposed over internal pressure.

NO Reference is made to the ANSI 16.5 flange-type that may be analyzed - it just should be a BOLTED Gasketed Flange, welded or loose-type, intehhral or slip-on etc.

Flange Facing (or Sealing Surface type, as I wrote in my previous message) is considered when GASKET REACTION Diameter "G" .
Please note that "G" IS NOT chosen, IT IS CALCULATED, based on GASKET INNER and OUTER DIAMETERS, and on the Gasket Effective Width "b", which needs also to be calculated/established as function of Basic Seating Width "b0".

And now we arrived at the Facing Type. ANY FACING TYPE (including Tongue and Groove, small or large) CAN BE CONSIDERED AND ANALYZED by equivalent pressure method. You just need to go to ASME VIII-1, Appendix 2 (Sorry, but this Code is everywhere/always required when we calculate ANSI B16.5 flanges traditionally, you cannot avoid that!), Tables 2-5.1 (gasket materials and types) and 2.5-2 (Facing types), to see and DECIDE how to CALCULATE/ESTABLISH "b0". Then you'll CALCULATE "G" diameter as per ASME VIII-1 Appendix 2 methodology.

Finally: Yes, it appears Caesar II database has only RF-type sealing surface and corresponding spiral-wound gasket sizes included, to calculate "G" diameter.
In over 20 years stress analysis work, this case I met for more than 90% of the situations when Equivalent Method was REASONABLE TO BE APPLIED.
Just a personal opinion, Equivalent Pressure method is an overly conservative approach, which becomes ineffective for higher ratings (including and above 600#), when male/female or RTJ facings are typically used.

So, I believe its reasonable and acceptable Caesar II to include only RF facing data. We cannot ask more...

In fact, I really believe it's quite better to let sometimes the engineers to exercise some basic Codes conversational skills, and not to let the software to be handled by "operators", who just push the keyboard, print/save the solution files automatically, without being aware of the Code assessments background.
Anybody who needs to calculate another type of flange facing, just can introduce his/her input "G" value and that's all!

Best regards,

Lead Piping Stress Engineer

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics