Topic Options
#74136 - 11/12/19 04:12 AM caesar free viewer: will be ever developed?
vermaccio Offline

Loc: italy
Will ever be developed a FREE caesar reading-only version?
I mean a caesar free where you can only SEE. You can't model, change, edit, run_calculus, save. You can only look at model, look node names, weight of rigids, spring datas,...

For example if stress analyst complete a calculus (having the full caesar version), other people could look at model by free version to see where supports are to draw them on support plant or to engineering supports. Every time i have to tell them where supports are or to extract .dwg that are less clear than the caesar viewer on screen.

#74138 - 11/12/19 07:02 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
anubis512 Offline

Loc: USA
Seconded. Especially for large models where you have to take a lot of screenshots to convey support locations/piping geometry, a free viewer would help a lot.

#74139 - 11/12/19 09:52 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
I saw that CAESAR has a "demo" option now, that can be requested that might be able to do this. It's on the home page when you start CAESAR.

#74140 - 11/12/19 10:09 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
vermaccio Offline

do you mean from caesar 2019 or from 2018? and this "demo" version how much time works? forever or only 30 days? and do you need a key/dongle or you can use demo-version without anything?

question: opening a previuos version .CAESAR II with a newer caesar can damage the .CAESAR II model, can't it?
For example my client asked for caesar 2016 and i have all .CAESAR II 2016 models.

More: Last caesar version are HEAVY to load on old pc and sometime in offices the support drawers have slow pc. For this reason i was thinking to a light reader version, without many engines inside the complete caesar.

#74149 - 11/13/19 10:06 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Hexagon would essentially have to untether the output viewer / report generator, but also improve upon it to translate the majority of the inputs, too.

Such a program would be bigger than either the input editor or output viewer as it would have to do both duties.

I'm not opposed to the idea, and such an application would be welcome improvement if it also replaced the output viewer outright, we also have to realize it has to make financial sense to Hexagon, too. After all, "free" is never "free."

#74151 - 11/13/19 12:55 PM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
anubis512 Offline

If AutoCAD and similar programs can create a simple viewer I don't see why Caesar couldn't.

Maybe I'm in the minority but none of the companies I've worked for maintained yearly Caesar licenses, just monthly or run-based licenses as required for projects.

It sure would be nice to have a viewer to go back and double check things in between projects or as questions arise... but I understand that Hexagon would probably prefer you "just buy a month license" and keep the money flowing.

Edited by anubis512 (11/13/19 12:56 PM)

#74152 - 11/13/19 04:15 PM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Agreed - it's something CAESAR "should" have.

But I'll note that CAESAR is pretty liberal with its data. An entrepreneur could produce their own tools to do the same, and even make money doing so.

#74155 - 11/13/19 09:08 PM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Arjun_Unniyampath Offline

Loc: India
Or Hexagon should add a module where in the user can geerate ".nwd" files (post error checking), with attributes like pressure, temperature, thickness & support gaps

#74160 - 11/14/19 12:50 PM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

NWD is a proprietary format. But I'll note that Navisworks (not the free version, of course) can import a plethora of formats, some of which are semi-open.

#74169 - 11/15/19 01:46 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: Michael_Fletcher]
vermaccio Offline

A caesarII license is VERY expensive. and hexxagon can't think a company buy expensive caesar licenses only to let support drawers to LOOK at model and input datas.
The expensive caesarII cost is justified by the ability to perform stress calculation simulations.
But if a user doesn't need at all stress calculation calculus... he will have to spend money, useless money and company boss will decide is a money waste, better not to spend also because will be an out-of-budget cost for project.
So, as happen now, the only caesarII copy will be installed on stress analysis computer and the poor stress-man will have to make miracles to give to other informations needed. the work become worse and worst for the poor stress analyst. and he will be always angry with hexagon...

you think developing a free viewer is a cost for hexxagon: well, it is enough to insert a triple choice at installation where you can decide what you want install:

a)FULL: you need the have/buy a license.

b)DEMO: you can test for a short while the full version.

c)VIEWER: you don't need any license but you can only read datas and look, take measures; mean while if you try to change datas or to run stress simulation a message will appear "this is viewer version, if you need this component please buy a license". simple. direct. quick.

i think inserting the c) option is a low cost work.

Edited by vermaccio (11/15/19 01:48 AM)

#74513 - 03/04/20 01:08 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Arjun_Unniyampath Offline

Loc: India
Option C proposed by vermaccio will be very useful for piping layout and support engineers

#74514 - 03/04/20 06:53 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
anubis512 Offline

With the way Caesar/Hexagon is changing to more frequent version updates and seemingly more expensive licensing, I really think they need to do something like that or people will begin converting to Autopipe or whatever other program.

#74541 - 03/10/20 10:13 PM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
I suggest you file your suggestion on Smart Support, and include your reasoning. This is the only way upper management will be able to evaluate your suggestion from a business point of view.

#74590 - 03/30/20 09:14 AM Re: caesar free viewer: will be ever developed? [Re: vermaccio]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

I mulled this over.

The cheapest way to accomplish this for Hexagon would be to change when CAESAR checks for available licenses, and how CAESAR reacts.

Presently, CAESAR just shuts down.

If CAESAR instead were to disable the ability to save, error check, or run, then CAESAR itself could be the free viewer.

Though I'll admit that I'm not certain what risks Hexagon opens itself up to by not shutting the program down.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics