Topic Options
#716 - 08/01/02 04:25 AM Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Tanveer Mukhtar_dup1 Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
I recently shifted from Caesar DOS to Caesar Window ver 4.4. If I display Plot Window and then want to work in Piping Input Window without closing the Plot Window, I get the famous error message "The instruction at xxx referenced memory at xxx. The memory could not be read" The application is then terminated.
Did any body else face this problem or it is specific to my own environment. I am working with Window 2000 Professional.

Thanks for your help

Tanveer Mukhtar
Piping Design Engineer
CCIC UAE

#717 - 08/01/02 08:35 AM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
This is a bug in Version 4.40. To avoid this, download the latest update for this version by clicking here .

A few suggestions:

• Pesonally I don't feel there is enough screen real estate to have both the plot window and the spreadsheet open at the same time (and I'm using a 21" monitor set at 1600x1200). I think you will find this mode of operation cumbersome.
  • Start using the <font color="#0000ff">3D Graphics</font> instead of the Standard Graphics. The <font color="#0000ff">3D Graphics</font> is where we have been spending all of our development resources for the last 3 years. Nothing further will be added to Standard Graphics, and we may remove these graphics in the next version.
  • From the Main Menu, use "Help\On-Line Registration" to register your software. Once you do this, you will be on our mailing list for announcements when updates to the software are available.

#718 - 08/07/02 08:29 AM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Edward Klein Offline

I would strongly discourage removing the "classic" graphics engine. I've found the new engine to be more of a pain both in using on screen and for hardcopies. The restraint symbols are grossly oversived, I don't remember even being able to display node numbers, and when you try to make a printout, you get a paper full of gray mud making it very difficult to separate one line from another crossing over it.

Quite frankly, if there were to be a vote to drop one of the graphics engines, I would very much be in favor of dumping HOOPS and having you guys go back to improving the "classic" engine. About the only thing it really needs it to have the hidden line removal system fixed up.

All the world is a Spring

#719 - 08/07/02 09:31 AM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Richard Ay Offline

Re-developing a graphics engine for a production product is a long slow processes - especially when you consider the other changes being made to the software at the same time.

We have been working since Version 4.10 was released on this new graphics engine. Versions 4.20 and 4.30 could be considered a work in progress. I'm not going to state that we are finished with this new engine in Version 4.40, but I think (if you give it a chance) you'll find it is more capable then old "Standard Graphics" engine.

I agree we need some sort of additional work, on user scaled restraint sizes. Naturally there are a number of small issues that also need to be resolved. However, pretty much all of the capabilities of the old "Standard Graphics" have been incorporated into the new engine. In addition, you will find additional features and capabilities.

(Even in Version 4.20, you could put node numbers on the plot. Just click the toolbar button with the "node 10" image.)

I'm working on a new "Animated Tutorial" to illustrate the use of this new graphics engine. Look for this soon on this web site.

#720 - 08/09/02 11:47 AM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Edward Klein Offline

I look forward to it. Haven't had a chance to see 4.40 yet as my company is still checking it out before rolling it out to the full group.

Thanks,
--ED

All the world is a Spring

#721 - 08/09/02 02:30 PM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Richard Ay Offline

Ok, the new "animated tutorial" on the 3D HOOPS Graphics is now available.

Click on the <font color="#0000ff">[Animated Tutorials]</font> link in the left hand Navigation Bar. This will give you a list of all of the available tutorials. Under the CAESAR II section, click on the link for "3D Graphics Usage".

The next CAESAR II CD will incorporate this new tutorial, just as all of the other tutorials have been.

#722 - 08/12/02 01:04 PM Re: Problem with CAESAR Plot Window
Richard Havard Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
The biggest problem I have with the 3D graphics is that it is so difficult to use. From rotating using the mouse, to not being able to rotate, enlarge and pan without having to press the appropriate button. The graphics themselves are very nice, but the functionality is too cumbersome. At least they are in v.4.30. Not everyone is using the latest version.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics