Topic Options
#50312 - 08/17/12 01:52 PM PSV Reaction Forces and Direction
Miyamoto Offline

Loc: Brazil
Hi all,

I know this issue is an old discussion in this forum, but I have a lot of doubts yet. I read a lot of thread but no one solved my problem. I didn't find threads considering open discharge system for liquids. So, I'm here again. I'll be glad if someone can answer any question.

First, my system consists in a single PSV (PRV to be more exact) in a pipeline with water and Open Discharge System.

My question is:

I contacted some vendors and everybody said me the same: "For open discharge system, the pressure at exit pipe is almost atmospheric". I think CAESAR II uses ASME B31.1 equation for force calculations:

F1 = (W*V1)/gc + (P1 - Pa)*A1

Being, P1 the static pressure at exit pipe, and this value is almost 1 kgf/cm2, the second term will be zero.

So,

F1 = (W*V1)/gc

In other words this force may be calculated only with mass flow vs fluid sonic velocity?

Someone knows any equation that I can calculate pressure at exit pipe and fluid sonic velocity for liquid? All equations that I saw is specific for vapor/gases.

Vendors said me also, for liquids the PSV don't "pop". Is this right?

For conclude, the only reaction force that acts in this system is F1 and this force is applied in last elbow of pipe exit?

Thanks in advance,

Miyamoto

#50313 - 08/18/12 12:40 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
mariog Offline

Loc: Romania
For liquid, the flow does not accelerate to sonic speed in the exit section, so in your case
exit_speed=[vol flow-rate]/[exit area]
You must know the mass flowrate and density and calculate the volumetric flowrate- anyway this info is specific to PRV "process" calculation.

You may evaluate dP (difference between pressure in the protected equipment and pressure in exit section) by Bernoulli; an approximate form is:
exit_speed=SQRT(2*dP/Density)

Just as a little more advanced topic: to calculate dP seems to be very simple, however the "trick" here is based on the fact a correct "process" calculation already considers the actual dP when evaluate the actual flowrate- so when we know the actual flowrate we know also dP and by calculation we count also the energy lost through PSV/PRV. I would add that a process calculation is not focused on the "actual flowrate" but to a conservative procedure to select PSV/PRV orifice and the last step- a calculation with actual orifice isn't performed under normal circumstances... eventually your calculation is strong linked to the quality of that process calculation. So isn't so simple, but the conclusion is you may go ahead based on the process calculation!

You may review this post where is discussed a result from Cheresources. For your case that "D" is the diameter of exit section.

#50321 - 08/18/12 03:19 PM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
mariog Offline

About the explanation on Pressure discharge in the end of PSV liquid piping, I should have explained it better- even it is not a "big issue".

Rigorously speaking, Bernoulli equation has to include also the pressure loss through PSV and also pressure loss through inlet piping and discharge piping of PSV (for the last ones their values are limited by constructive rules).

By PSV Liquid Sizing procedure, the difference between pressure in the protected equipment and pressure in discharge section (let’s say it is "DP") is the basis of the calculation of the PSV minimum required orifice area. That means that the basis of PSV orifice dimensioning is the idea that PSV shall consume almost all that DP. It would follow that the discharge pressure is near "zero"- as your Vendor said.

However, the calculation of PSV orifice includes coefficients to dimension the orifice a little bit larger than necessary, and in the end, it is selected a "commercial" (standardized) PSV orifice valve bigger than the calculated one. Consequently, PSV will be a "hydraulic resistance" with a value less than is required and that means also the flow-rate will be greater that it was counted as "required to relief" the equipment.
Normally, the calculation does not consider "actual values", since the calculation goal is to dimension the PSV and this is achieved by the calculation algorithm. However, if you want to see how much is the pressure discharge, you have to repeat the hydraulic calculation with the actual orifice, actual PSV coefficients, actual piping configuration, liquid viscosity, etc and the result of that hydraulic calculation will show also the actual flow-rate released. In my opinion, this is far exceeding the stress engineer duty and it’s likely that "process" department will not be supporting you for a calculation that is "unnecessary" for them...

I would underline that the above written ideas are specific to liquid PSVs. For gas or steam, a supplementary issue is the fact the fluid accelerates to critical speed and density is also changed, so a calculation of "exit pressure" must follow other rules than a simple hydraulic calculation specific to liquids.

#50334 - 08/20/12 07:00 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Miyamoto Offline

mariog,

Thank you very much. You explanation was very clear.

Due relief is very slowly for liquid, I can't consider "pop condition" right? So, what is the direction of these forces? I understand should have a reaction force against pipe direction acting on valve and another in last elbow of the system. Please, look at draft attached.

At node 10 only F2 act (DLF x F1)

At node 20 all forces are balanced.

At node 30, vertical force is balanced and horizontal force act at the elbow.

Is my understand right?

Regards,

Miyamoto

Attachments
PRV Direction Forces.jpg

#50346 - 08/20/12 10:20 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Miyamoto Offline

Forgot to mention, CAESAR II uses flow velocity at orifice to calculate Thrust Force. So, may I use this velocity as v1 (exit velocity at Point 1)?

#50355 - 08/21/12 12:32 PM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
mariog Offline

The "reaction force" formula (as is given in B31.1, for example) is linked to the "free jet" assumption. So the horizontal force in node 30 is a steady-state force as a consequence of the third law of dynamics.

At node 10 you may consider a similar horizontal force; however that means you consider there is a free-jet downstream PSV/PRV.
Velocity is [v-orifice]=[vol flow-rate]/[orifice-area],
multiplying by mass-flow-rate gives a force, etc.

#50362 - 08/22/12 12:49 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
One side note. If is liquid, the dowstream line need to go down, not up.

#50369 - 08/22/12 05:47 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Miyamoto Offline

danb,

I need downstream up because this line will discharge in a open tank that is a little bit tall.

May I have any problems with downstream up?

Regards,

Miyamoto

#50390 - 08/23/12 01:26 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

The line need to be self-draining.

In your case you need to place the psv at an elevation above the tank, then to go down with the discharge line.

#50393 - 08/23/12 05:48 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Miyamoto Offline

danb,

As mentioned in API 520, I can install a manual drainage at discharge line.

Regards,

Miyamoto

Edited by Miyamoto (08/23/12 05:50 AM)

#50394 - 08/23/12 06:04 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

Then you do not need the tank.

#50620 - 09/05/12 09:46 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Ltorrado Offline

Loc: Metairie, LA
I would like to open this topic back up regarding the proper method of perfmorming a "static analysis" on relief valve discharge piping. We have an ongoing discussion at work on how to do it. My opinion is that, when dealing with a discharge pipe that has multiple turns before it discharges either to atmosphere or to a larger relief header, all the vector forces should NOT be applied at the same time but instead as different vectors AT different points in time (i.e F1 at t1, F2 at t2, etc.). Of course, assuming F1 = F2 = F3 if cross sectional area stays constant throughout.

So let's say you have Miyamoto's piping but relief being passed is gas. I agree the fluid will be traveling at extremely high velocities, but unless the spools are very short, the metal will NOT feel these at the same time (even if it's only miliseconds). But yet I see everyone's standard practice is to apply them all at once at every turn in direction as one single vector force (F1 at t1, t2, t3, etc.).

There is one post in particular from Loren Brown that I believe backs my reasoning up, see below:

"For an open system, if you have more than one bend in your vent stack then apply this force at each bend under a separate load vector.

For a closed system you would apply this force on bends on each “long” leg of pipe. The only way to truly figure out which pipe leg is short enough to ignore the PSV force is to run the force/time profile through Caesar II's DLF generator in the dynamics module, but then you might as well perform this analysis dynamically. For short pipes the duration of the unbalanced PSV force is small and this shifts the DLF peak to the right (higher frequency) which at some point is past the majority of your piping system natural frequencies of interest. But if you are going to do this statically you might simply take the nine longest pipe legs and apply your force to each bend corresponding to these longest legs. This would be the "brute force" approach, not really an approach based on physics.

You have 9 different force vectors to choose from so apply your PSV force under a different force vector for each bend because we want to only examine the effect on one bend at a time. Then set up separate OPE cases that include your different force vectors."

Ignoring the calculation method of the actual thrust loads (which I calculate based on Process Engineering's computer modeled fluid conditions at discharge of PSV and at downstream points and also applying a conservative DLF of 2.0), what do the experts think is the correct way of doing this static analysis? Shouldn't it be like this (in Miyamoto's example):

L1 = W+P1+T1 (OPE)
L2 = W+P1+T1+F1 (OPE)
L3 = W+P1+T1+F2 (OPE)
L4 = W+P1+T1+F3 (OPE)
L5 = W+P1+T1+F4 (OPE)
L6 = W+P1 (SUS)
L7 = L1-L6 (EXP)
L8 = L2-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F1
L9 = L3-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F2
L10 = L4-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F3
L11 = L5-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F4
L12= L6+L8 (OCC) use Scalar Combination Method
L13= L6+L9 (OCC) scalar combination
L14= L6+L10 (OCC) scalar combination
L15= L6+L11 (OCC) scalar combination

Thanks.

#50636 - 09/06/12 03:39 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Ltorrado]
mariog Offline

The reaction force as a result of a free jet existence is "physics" and nobody can deny it.
The assumption F1 = F2 = F3= reaction force of "free jet" as describing the "traveling wave" is not "physics", is just an assumption based on our limited knowledge about the real phenomenon- this is my opinion.
Of course, nothing wrong to be conservative; the only question is how we can realize when we are too conservative...
But when it works with a reasonable piping layout , will be OK.

Best regards.

#50641 - 09/06/12 06:47 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Ltorrado Offline

As I feared, we are steering away from the static analysis method topic and more into the fluid dynamics and physics of the phenomenon. I always say begin doing analysis very conservatively, and if you encounter problems, only then begin to step away from conservatism and more into "reality".

Now when the gas exits the relief valve it will lose most of its pressure due to frictional losses in the initial length of the discharge piping. As the gas travels down the piping it will lose pressure, which will lower the density, and in turn will increase velocity. So the assumption of F1 = F2 = F3 is not "real" because as the flow reaches higher velocities, the thrust load will increase. That is why I tell our Process Engineers to provide us with the maximum velocity exhibited in the discharge piping which in a closed system is usually right before entering the larger diameter relief header.

As far as the DLF goes, I begin with a conservative 2.0 and only in situations where I am forced to reduce the thrust loads due to problems do I start looking at PSV opening times, piping periods, etc. to calculate an approximate DLF. And correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the DLF stem from the traveling pressure wave due to the unbalanced system pressures?

But what I am more interested really is the way of applying these loads in CAESAR if you are not performing the dynamic analysis. I have not found much guidance in COADE's literature. The best advice I've encountered is Loren's method I quoted above.

Regards.

Edited by Ltorrado (09/06/12 06:48 AM)

#50644 - 09/06/12 08:06 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Ltorrado]
mariog Offline

It seems you are interested in the implementation of these loads in CAESAR static analysis.
Mr. Loren Brown has a post where he detailed the procedure:
http://65.57.255.42/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2148

About flow dynamics you've mentioned. IMO the gas that exits the relief valve already lost most of its pressure due to frictional losses in PSV. Is not a rule the fluid will accelerate so much in the initial length of the discharge piping, it will accelerate in the end of system where the boundary conditions offers conditions for such acceleration to critical speed. As you said, some software is available for steady state calculation. About the transient calculation for gases exiting the PSV- well... this is an endless discussion.

#52507 - 01/16/13 02:32 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

Is anyone that saw this paper: "Flow Reaction Forces upon Blowdown of Safety Valves"?

What formula use?

In addition it mention a tee piece at the outlet but this is not a common layout, even it sound quite interesting.

Regards,

#52538 - 01/18/13 05:09 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
SJ Offline

Loc: India
Dan,

The reasoning behind using a tee at the outlet end is to nullify the forces which are of equal maginitude.

I,too, was naive on this issue till I found such layouts in my current organisation.

Seems, interesting...huh...

SJ

#52539 - 01/18/13 05:29 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

SJ,

There are also some PSV with two discharge nozzles at 180 degree.

My question is: Why is not a standard layout if the advantage exists? Still, it is not common.

#52584 - 01/21/13 08:02 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: danb]
Ltorrado Offline

I've only seen the dual-outlet type tail pipes a couple of times. It is definitely not standard practice.

Although how much of a benefit would it really be? It would seem that you would still experience the impact force due to the momentum of the fluid hitting the end before shooting out the sides. It would also seem that you'd need some kind of clamp or something to dampen the vibrations from a possible imbalance upon the fluid exits to atmosphere. Only in theory it would cancel the forces out perfectly.

#60070 - 08/17/14 04:33 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Shahid Rafiq Offline

Loc: Abu Dhabi UAE
Dear All,

A company specification says "When the fluid is a gas, the safety valve is to locate higher than the discharge Header." Our process engineer differs with it and says there should not be a problem even if the PSV is lower than the header provided a) the PSV outlet line joins the relief header from top b) a drain is provided at the lowest point downstream of PSV outlet.

What is your opinion on this?

#60076 - 08/17/14 03:18 PM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
danb Offline

Maybe an automatic drain valve. But only in desperate cases I think, not as a common design.

#71122 - 02/23/18 06:50 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Ltorrado]
M Waheed Offline

Loc: UK
Dont you need to consider all the forces F1, F2, F3 etc acting at the same time?

MW

#71126 - 02/23/18 09:25 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
MW,

In the above example, the API-520 assumption is that steady state condition is met instantaneously, and they all cancel out and you only consider the force at the end of the pipe.

In "long" closed system piping and "long" relief piping to atmosphere, you can't always make the assumption of instantaneous steady state conditions, and you have to consider dynamic effects.

#71134 - 02/26/18 03:21 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
M Waheed Offline

In closed system we apply the forces on each leg. The question is that if these forces are assumed to be acting at the same time in static analysis.
Peng has suggested to use all the forces at the same time but I have not seen this anywhere else. The piping passing for individual forces on each leg may fail for the combined effect if these forces are assumed to be acting at the same time.

#71137 - 02/26/18 10:48 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

The reverse is also true. If you apply all the forces simultaneously, there exists a piping configuration that can pass as opposed to the forces being applied independently.

You could attempt to play it safe and apply them independently (F1, F2, F3, F4...) and simultaneously (F1+F2+F3+F4). This could expand your safety net farther at the risk of piping over-design.

It's up to the end-user to decide when over-design results in unnecessary cost, and when over-design is the appropriate response to avoid "paralysis by analysis." The onus also falls upon the user to realize when even expanded simplified methods fail to meet the severity of reality.

The answer to that is "when dynamic stresses exceed that of those calculated by simplified static stresses." Unfortunately, to answer that with certainty requires a dynamic analysis, but will be a function of the masses and inertial effects of the system.

#71228 - 03/13/18 04:20 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Ltorrado]
M Waheed Offline

There should be a one load case for combined effect of all the forces as well where all the these forces are assumed to act at the same time. See Pipe Stress Engineering by Peng.

Originally Posted By: Ltorrado
I would like to open this topic back up regarding the proper method of perfmorming a "static analysis" on relief valve discharge piping. We have an ongoing discussion at work on how to do it. My opinion is that, when dealing with a discharge pipe that has multiple turns before it discharges either to atmosphere or to a larger relief header, all the vector forces should NOT be applied at the same time but instead as different vectors AT different points in time (i.e F1 at t1, F2 at t2, etc.). Of course, assuming F1 = F2 = F3 if cross sectional area stays constant throughout.

So let's say you have Miyamoto's piping but relief being passed is gas. I agree the fluid will be traveling at extremely high velocities, but unless the spools are very short, the metal will NOT feel these at the same time (even if it's only miliseconds). But yet I see everyone's standard practice is to apply them all at once at every turn in direction as one single vector force (F1 at t1, t2, t3, etc.).

There is one post in particular from Loren Brown that I believe backs my reasoning up, see below:

"For an open system, if you have more than one bend in your vent stack then apply this force at each bend under a separate load vector.

For a closed system you would apply this force on bends on each “long” leg of pipe. The only way to truly figure out which pipe leg is short enough to ignore the PSV force is to run the force/time profile through Caesar II's DLF generator in the dynamics module, but then you might as well perform this analysis dynamically. For short pipes the duration of the unbalanced PSV force is small and this shifts the DLF peak to the right (higher frequency) which at some point is past the majority of your piping system natural frequencies of interest. But if you are going to do this statically you might simply take the nine longest pipe legs and apply your force to each bend corresponding to these longest legs. This would be the "brute force" approach, not really an approach based on physics.

You have 9 different force vectors to choose from so apply your PSV force under a different force vector for each bend because we want to only examine the effect on one bend at a time. Then set up separate OPE cases that include your different force vectors."

Ignoring the calculation method of the actual thrust loads (which I calculate based on Process Engineering's computer modeled fluid conditions at discharge of PSV and at downstream points and also applying a conservative DLF of 2.0), what do the experts think is the correct way of doing this static analysis? Shouldn't it be like this (in Miyamoto's example):

L1 = W+P1+T1 (OPE)
L2 = W+P1+T1+F1 (OPE)
L3 = W+P1+T1+F2 (OPE)
L4 = W+P1+T1+F3 (OPE)
L5 = W+P1+T1+F4 (OPE)
L6 = W+P1 (SUS)
L7 = L1-L6 (EXP)
L8 = L2-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F1
L9 = L3-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F2
L10 = L4-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F3
L11 = L5-L1 (OCC) segregated effect of F4
L12= L6+L8 (OCC) use Scalar Combination Method
L13= L6+L9 (OCC) scalar combination
L14= L6+L10 (OCC) scalar combination
L15= L6+L11 (OCC) scalar combination

Thanks.

#71233 - 03/13/18 08:09 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Dave Diehl Offline

Loc: Houston, TX, USA
I had to go back and read what Peng says (in Pipe Stress Engineering) about staging these transient forces applied at each elbow.
On page 403: "Although the forces are all acting at different times, it is necessary to apply the forces all at the same time in a static analysis. The time-history analysis, on the other hand, can consider the actual force shapes and arriving times at different locations."
I do not know why he says it is necessary to apply all static forces at the same time. This would just put each segment between elbows in tension and there would be no displacement other than the very small (due to high axial stiffness - AE/L) axial extension.
I would want to see the loads applied individually as those loads would develop the loads that pull the pipe off its axis.
I lean towards Ltorrado's load cases. But my interest would not be limited to those SUS+OCC stress cases, I would also take a hard look for excessive pipe displacements and support loads in those "operating plus single-leg imbalance" load cases (L2 to L5 in the example).

#71235 - 03/13/18 09:44 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

The forces in question should be considered as the maximum imbalanced force within an element, rather than F∞ at the elbows. If the force at each elbow is simplified as a linear ramp between 0 and F∞, but displaced at a time equal to the length between elbows divided by the speed of sound, then the force on each element between bends is F=min(F∞,F∞*L/Lcrit) where Lcrit = valve opening time/speed of sound.

The question then becomes why does LC Peng advise to apply loads to all elements simultaneously in a static analysis?

Imagine a pipe system with just elbows and elements that connect them. Element 1 connects the PSV (which effectively counts as an elbow in this thought experiement) to elbow 1. Element 2 connects elbows 1 and 2, etc.

Assuming relatively short elements, F1 = F∞*L/Lcrit, where L is the length of the element itself. You can apply this force to the elbow upstream, downstream, or even place a node in the middle of the element and place the force there. Force is always in the opposite direction of flow.

Once flow reaches elbow 2, the force is merely cancelled. The fluid does not push element 1 back into place. The only force to push the pipe back into place is the stiffness of the pipe itself. However, the fluid does not care about this fact, and proceeds to impart load onto element 2 at the same time. While imparting load onto element 2, yes, the stiffness of the pipe starts pushing element 1 back towards its original configuration, but the assumption here is that it can't keep up with the fluid at that pace. I.E. speed of sound >> speed of pipe.

The assumption that the loads all apply simultaneously assumes that the speed of sound is ∞ and the speed of pipe is 0, but only for purposes of inter-element load interaction.

My counter-argument, though, is that there exists a piping configuration where these combined loads may not necessarily be more conservative than application of a single load at a time in a static analysis. While I can't contrive one off the top of my head, I imagine if you supply enough non-linear supports with enough springs, you can probably manage it.

#71389 - 04/03/18 07:03 AM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Michael_Fletcher]
M Waheed Offline

So a conservative approach would be to consider individual forces on each leg and then combination of all the forces and satisfy all the load cases.

MW

Originally Posted By: Michael_Fletcher
The forces in question should be considered as the maximum imbalanced force within an element, rather than F∞ at the elbows. If the force at each elbow is simplified as a linear ramp between 0 and F∞, but displaced at a time equal to the length between elbows divided by the speed of sound, then the force on each element between bends is F=min(F∞,F∞*L/Lcrit) where Lcrit = valve opening time/speed of sound.

The question then becomes why does LC Peng advise to apply loads to all elements simultaneously in a static analysis?

Imagine a pipe system with just elbows and elements that connect them. Element 1 connects the PSV (which effectively counts as an elbow in this thought experiement) to elbow 1. Element 2 connects elbows 1 and 2, etc.

Assuming relatively short elements, F1 = F∞*L/Lcrit, where L is the length of the element itself. You can apply this force to the elbow upstream, downstream, or even place a node in the middle of the element and place the force there. Force is always in the opposite direction of flow.

Once flow reaches elbow 2, the force is merely cancelled. The fluid does not push element 1 back into place. The only force to push the pipe back into place is the stiffness of the pipe itself. However, the fluid does not care about this fact, and proceeds to impart load onto element 2 at the same time. While imparting load onto element 2, yes, the stiffness of the pipe starts pushing element 1 back towards its original configuration, but the assumption here is that it can't keep up with the fluid at that pace. I.E. speed of sound >> speed of pipe.

The assumption that the loads all apply simultaneously assumes that the speed of sound is ∞ and the speed of pipe is 0, but only for purposes of inter-element load interaction.

My counter-argument, though, is that there exists a piping configuration where these combined loads may not necessarily be more conservative than application of a single load at a time in a static analysis. While I can't contrive one off the top of my head, I imagine if you supply enough non-linear supports with enough springs, you can probably manage it.

#71390 - 04/03/18 01:31 PM Re: PSV Reaction Forces and Direction [Re: Miyamoto]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Put it this way:

The simple method of putting API-520 loads on the PSV is extremely conservative, but only for one dimension, and completely dismisses 1 dimension per elbow. Call this perhaps a 90% solution that overdesigns supports and misses 10% of the time.

Analyzing all the imbalanced forces all at once via Peng typically diminishes the over-conservatism of the API-520 method and brings the other dimensions into the fold. Call this a 99% solution that requires only 10 minutes of extra time to set up if you have yourself a spreadsheet handy, with the side-benefit of reducing needlessly monstrous relief loads.

Analyzing the imbalanced forces individually is also a 99% solution, but probably comes, but if combined with analyzing everything all at once, it could be a 99.9% solution. Individually is perhaps another 15 minutes to set up, but can also easily balloon into solver convergence problems.

The question becomes, what is adequate for your analysis? The more you familiarize yourself with the method and the loads that will result via the calculation, the better you can streamline, simplify, yet still meet requirements.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics