Topic Options
#68636 - 03/20/17 11:26 PM GRP Termination Point
marchie Offline

Loc: Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Dear All,

I have an issue regarding the anchor termination on stress analysis for existing GRP piping system. Is it really needed to terminate in an anchor knowing that the existing piping already reaches the other system/very very far? Also the existing system have alot of branches (same as the header size)? (new piping system of my concern is connected to the existing line)

I knew that the expansion rate for GRP is higher than metal but I have really difficulties on terminating the existing system. Also knowing that my new system consist of approx. 3 Isometrics only and the existing pipe already 20 Isometrics and counting.

I hope for your suggestion and recommendation. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,

marchie

#68639 - 03/21/17 09:31 AM Re: GRP Termination Point [Re: marchie]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
There will always been a point in the pipe that acts a virtual stop where thermal growth in opposing directions prevents that pipe from moving or rotating along a specified axis.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to estimate the locations of those virtual stops.

I hesitate to use the term "anchor" because that indicates a translational and rotational stop in all 3 axes, which may not always be true.

Generally speaking, this point lies in the middle of the pipe. However, this causes us problems on substantially long runs of unguided pipe. A substantially long run of unguided pipe will permit cumulative friction forces (and branch lines) to hold the pipe back, compress the pipe axially, and even bend the pipe similar to slender column buckling, which CAESAR does not calculate without sufficient prodding to do so.

If the system is existing, you may instead be able to infer how far it currently travels through observation in operation, or through evidence of wear at support locations, and instead utilize those values in your analysis.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics