Topic Options
#66309 - 05/05/16 06:33 AM CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names
joeseagle Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY
This is a combined Cadworx and Caesar question.

Our designers export ".c 2" files from our Cadworx models and provide a set of isometrics to us. We then open these ".c 2" files in CAESAR II eliminating the need for double modeling. After running our stress analysis we print a restraint summary and hand write node numbers on the isometrics that the designers provided and hand to our structural team.

What I want and hope exists is this... Is there a function in Cadworx to input a support name at each support, such as "PS-1", "PS-2", "PS-3", etc. Then the ".c 2" file that is exported and opened in CAESAR II has these exact pipe support names prepopulated in the "Name" field within the input for each node that has a support. Along with this, isometrics that the designers print could include these same pipe support names.

The result is a streamlined way to print a restraint summary with labeled support names matching the isometric support names. I know this can all be done manually, but I'm looking for this streamlined technique.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

#66517 - 06/01/16 12:24 PM Re: CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names [Re: joeseagle]
joeseagle Offline

Anyone from Intergraph have thoughts??

#66518 - 06/01/16 12:41 PM Re: CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names [Re: joeseagle]
Michael_Fletcher Offline

Loc: Louisiana, US
If it's a matter of avoiding manual input of node numbers on the ISOs, you can set up CAESAR line numbers to match ISO numbers instead, and have CAESAR push out ISOs with node numbers that roughly correlate to the ISOs from CADWorx.

I understand that this doesn't cut out the ISO / Node number from your workflow, but it could alleviate Node Number write-ups and their subsequent errors. It could also mean that you can fork over "your" ISOs and "their" ISOs to someone else to mark up, instead of a CAESAR operator.

I can't really help on the CADWorx/CAESAR functionality, unfortunately.

#66521 - 06/01/16 05:59 PM Re: CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names [Re: joeseagle]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
At the present moment the interface will not transfer support names. While CAESAR II does permit naming nodes, the software does not allow naming restraints. This is however a very hot request and we are planning implementation.

It would help with the perceived importance of this idea if you would file a Support Request on Smart Support and make the request there.

#75100 - 10/21/20 06:45 AM Re: CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names [Re: joeseagle]
joeseagle Offline

Curious how this topic has evolved since the original post?

I notice you can now enter a "tag" within Restraint editor in Caesar. Can these tags be entered into Cadworx during the initial design and subsequently automatically populated in Caesar when the model is converted to a CAESAR II file out of Cadworx?

What can be done with these tags other than them be graphically shown on the piping input screen? Can these tags be shown on a restraint summary? I could not find a way for that to happen.

Again in an ideal world, it would be great if Cadworx would have an individual support tag for each pipe support in the model. Then it is brought into Caesar with that unique tag, analyzed, and results output with those tags part of restraint summary. In addition to that, a Cadworx user can simply import a restraint summary into Cadworx where the restraint summary load info is applied to each pipe support via the unique tag within the Cadworx model. This would allow a structural engineer to navigate through a given 3D model in Cadworx and look at any pipe support they want and have direct access to that support's analyzed pipe support loads from Caesar.

#75110 - 10/28/20 06:40 AM Re: CADWorx to Caesar - Pipe Support Names [Re: joeseagle]
danb Offline

Loc: ...
I do not have anymore Caesar but I remember that only importing pcf files you have the possibility to obtain the supports tag using also the mapping files.
Someone that have skils in Cadworx can tell you if there are other things he can do on cadworx side in order to export more info on the caesar side.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics