Topic Options
#64977 - 12/01/15 08:34 PM Allowable Stresses & Pipe Yield Strength
JB90 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Hello,

I'm am relatively new to CAESAR and pipe stress. I am working my way through B31.3 as I am working through a model. I realize that I may be able to answer this question the further I work through the problem. However, this is an attempt to get some good feedback and advice from those of you who have the knowledge and experience that I do not.

The model is converging and passing all of the B31.3 code stress calculations and checks. However, the operating stress that is calculated is still higher than the YS of the material (A53 GR. B @ 500 deg. F). Since then, I have loosened the model up some, and added loops within reason. The code stress is now below the YS of the pipe, however it is still above the "allowable" stress found in the material database for B31.3.

I realize that B31.3 does not address the operating case, but should I continue to loosen/add more flexibility to the model?

As best that I have gathered, B31.3 does not necessarily check the calculated stress to the YS of the material, but it offers a baseline for design. Even though the model may "pass" the code, further analysis and consideration is needed to ensure a good design.

Thank you.

#64985 - 12/02/15 09:26 AM Re: Allowable Stresses & Pipe Yield Strength [Re: JB90]
Richard Ay Offline

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
B31.3 evaluates a Primary (Sustained) stress state and a Secondary (Expansion) stress state. Primary is forced based while Secondary is strain based. B31.3 does not discuss limits on the Operating condition.

According to the B31.3 philosophy, if your system is within the limits of the Sustained and Expansion load cases allowable stresses, then it meets the (stress) requirements of the Code. You are correct in that this is a minimum requirement and further analysis and considerations may be necessary to ensure a good design.

The Expansion allowable stress (going back to Markl's works from the 1950s) is roughly 2*Ys, since this is a stress range, not an actual stress (see paragraph 319.2.3). The Operating case is sort of a combination of Primary and Secondary conditions, so you're looking at a combination of force based and strain based loads.

Most piping codes evaluate pipe stress in two separate categories – the state of sustained stress (the system must have sufficient strength to carry the force-based load) and the expansion stress range (the system must have sufficient flexibility to absorb strain-based loads to avoid fatigue failure). Some yield is acceptable for strain-based loads as local yielding (due to displacement) will allow redistribution of these strain-based loads. As mentioned above, the calculated stress for the operating condition mixes these two load categories (force-based versus strain-based) and the Code does not have a criterion to evaluate such a combination.

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics