Topic Options
#61641 - 12/30/14 03:59 AM Tiedbellow spring washers in tie rod can it take axial disp
sam Offline

Loc: Maharastra, India
Can a tied bellow with spring washers in tie rod between flange & nut take axial dispacement while maintaining pressure integrity ?

I am having a situation where there is a need for a in line pressure balanced bellow to absorb both axial and lateral movement. I have a tied bellow at this moment available. Can I put a number to spring washers in between flange and nut to serve the purpose?
regards,
sam

Attachments
Tied bellow with spring washers.jpg

#61649 - 12/30/14 11:29 AM Re: Tiedbellow spring washers in tie rod can it take axial disp [Re: sam]
Dan Edgar Offline

Loc: Pine Valley, Ca, USA
Sam,
The “typical” answer is No. As soon as you pressurize you’re system, the longitudinal pressure thrust (Pt = P x A) will cause the line to bottom out the springs and prevent axial compression. In order to take compression your piping system would have to develop enough axial force to overcome the Pt. Now, if you pressure is very low and your piping vary rigid, then you might get some compression out of the joint, but that’s a special case. Let me know if you need additional information.

#61657 - 12/30/14 09:43 PM Re: Tiedbellow spring washers in tie rod can it take axial disp [Re: sam]
sam Offline

Loc: Maharastra, India
Dear Dan,

Your answer is right; provided stiffness will not be ,at all, comparable with axial stiffness of untied bellows by the use of belleville washers in series!

But, relatively low stiffness introduced by belleville washers can produce some displacement, at least, to accommodate thermal expansion of piping just like its application in flanges under thermal shock and vibration. The bellow is expected to experience a small thermal compression for which this "jugaad" arrangement is suggested.

I wish some users of belleville washers in flanges under thermal shock to comment on the suggested configuration. From the first principles used in flanges, I feel, this arrangement should meet the need!

Happy New Year 2015!

May Almighty Lord bless us with peace, health and happiness for all!

Om Sarve Bhavantu Sukhinah
Sarve Santu Nir-Aamayaah |
Sarve Bhadraanni Pashyantu
Maa Kashcid-Duhkha-Bhaag-Bhavet |
Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Meaning:
Om, May All become Happy,
May All be Free from Illness.
May All See what is Auspicious,
May no one Suffer.
Om Peace, Peace, Peace.

regards,
sam

Moderator:  Denny_Thomas, uribejl 
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Forum Stats
12065 Members
14 Forums
16973 Topics